Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 8 November 2023

What's your......

.....number, mine is 68, yes on Tuesday I reached that number, I could happily let the day pass, but family and friends like to remind me I am another year older. When I think of my mum at 68, she was old, her outlook, her style, she was gently slowing down, not me, my age is a number, which I don't think about too much, these days we can do and be whoever we want. 

I would love to start reading this enormous book almost 1,000 pages, I am trying to wait for another wet day at home, where we can settle in and I can lose myself in her words, Robert Galbraith is the pseudonym for JK Rowling, of Harry Potter fame, and is the 7th book with Cormoran Strike, some have already been shown on TV. Hubby does know how to spoil me, this book with some small amounts of rovings, which you can never have enough shades.


Monday I had Molly for the afternoon, she has picked up an infection and did not go to nursery, mummy had an important meeting, trying to ensure George get the best local school for his start date next September. I was happy to sit and play with Molly, most of the time we read books, which pleases me, we are a family of book lovers.

Because my birthday was on a Tuesday, the sign group asked where I would like to go for coffee, I chose a big out of area garden centre with a Hobbycraft next door, hubby came with me, it was fun, I was more interesting in the plants rather than the Christmas stuff. I did not enter Hobbycraft, I find it far too expensive in there. Later we visited Will, George and Molly for birthday cake, 3 excited children, who all love birthday cake and cuddles. 

I do believe I was born at a good time, the 6th child of 9, a happy family, life was simple growing up in a village in Somerset in the mid 50's and 60's, in my later teen's 70's was another perfect time, great freedom accompanied with great music. The whole world has changed in my lifetime, and if I focus on around me, it been good changes, who would believe a little girl who had few dreams, could have such a fun life. there are things I still want to do, and plenty of wonderful memories. These days I am not so aware of all the changes, the need to keep up has diminished, I am happy to have my simple life with close family and friends, my world is smaller but still full of fun and laughter. 

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a really good day for your birthday yesterday Marlene, many happy returns. Yes we like a slower simpler life now too, no feeling like we have to keep up with anybody else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated Happy Birthday.
    Best wishes Barbarax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday and glad it was a good day with family and friends. I’m 73 and don’t even think about nit doing things I enjoy. Walking and Pilates keep my body fit and a loving husband and a few good friends keep my mind active. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many Happy Returns, sounds like you had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!! It sounds like you had the perfect day.

    Oh, and my number will be 68 in about a month and a half.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday - family just don't take the hint, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Oh to be 68 again. Saying that, I don't usually think about age (except when I have a birthday with a zero coming up, which I do). I am sure gardening is the answer to keeping fit and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated happy birthday wishes, it sounds like you had a lovely day.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belated happy birthday wishes, Marlene. My number is 74 (1st Nov) and I'm certainly feeling it! Enjoy your happy times x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails