Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 22 November 2023

Weekend

It was a dull dry weekend, the rain held off, we were staying in a hotel in Weston-Super-Mare, it was a turkey and tinsel weekend with a difference. The Welsh Guards veteran's had booked the whole hotel, we decided to go when an old friend of hubby's was attending with his wife who I knew. A walk along the sea front at the old part of WSM on Saturday afternoon, our friends had never been here, so we gave them a bit of a tour.
We took a couple of bottles for the raffle, there was also an auction, both raised a huge amount of money. I have an extremely happy husband, he won one item in the raffle, tickets to next year's trooping of the colours on the Kings birthday, these tickets are booked up for years, and very difficult to get. Through the evening he had loads of offers to purchase the tickets, some offering high amounts, he refused, we are both planning to attend.
Finally I have read another book, this is the latest book in the series, I purchased it in hardback, it was just £10, I normally wait not purchasing new books, but it called to me. Another good plot, I love the way often he allows a lucky comment, to help the case move forward, rather than the perfect police officer, who knows everything. The story is based in and around Brighton, which I know, some early stories have been made for TV under the name of Grace, staring John Simm. Book 34 read this year.
Today George turns 4, how quickly the years pass, he is a true little boy, he has his own personality, so many things amuses him, he loved his books, the one I made will help him prepare for school in September. Here he is in his kitchen, preparing our lunch and making a mess.


I always vowed I would never go on a turkey and tinsel weekend, this was different, the hotel, did their normal thing, Santa came to visit us on our evening meal, which was a Christmas lunch. I could not fault the hotel, its catering or the staff, everything happened as it should. If this is how hotels fill their out of season rooms, then well done, I still would not go on another, one Christmas a season is enough for me. It was a rowdy weekend, lots of drink was sold, but in the main we saw no problems, everyone behaved, but we were in bed both nights at a decent time, we spent most of our time in the lounge, perfect for us. 

Normally we would have spent some time with my brother, but he is waiting for a new bed, so we just had the two nights in the hotel, it was almost a very expensive weekend, I lost a gold bracelet, which was annoying, but luckily I found it in the foot well of our car, just need a small repair. 

I have the snivels, not a cold or flu, I am feeling cold all the time, I'm waiting to see what type of bugs I may have picked up, we have both been very tired, neither of us slept well whilst away. It's been a dry couple of days, I am hoping to dig out my little pond and use the liner and get some plants in around the edge, nothing else to do other than picking up the final few leaves, my beautiful Acer is now completely bare.

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful prize your hubby won! I'm not surprised he didn't want to sell, I'm sure you will both really enjoy it.
    Happy Birthday to George, Jacob will be 4 next month, they will be starting school at the same time, they grow up so quickly don't they!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you found the bracelet but annoying to pick up a cold.
    I wonder if they will make anymore of the Grace series, they were slow but OK. I shall investigate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just googled Weston-super-Mare and it looks a lovely spot to spend time. We have an upsurge of the common cold and Covid around here ( southern Victoria Australia) just in time for all the pre Christmas engagements, hopefully as the weather warms up they will ease off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant prize your hubby won. I'm sure you will both have a fantastic and memorable day next year at trooping of the Kings colours.
    Lovely picture of George, happy birthday wishes for him.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great prize to win. Congratulations to your Hubby.

    Happy Birthday to George.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to George - he looks a happy little soul.
    It sounds like an enjoyable weekend and the prize made it extra special.
    Hope your sniffles don't develop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a hat may be required for that event! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant prize. I'm not surprised your husband received offers to purchase those tickets. Something exciting to look forward to. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. George is just adorable and a year younger than the two middle grandchildren of mine. Together they have become the 'terrors' when they meet up - one minute playing quite happily together and the best of friends and the next they break out into a big squabble over the same toy and have to be separated! I am hoping when they turn 6 life will become a little quieter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on the prize win. I'm sure you will both have a fantastic time and it will be something good to look forward to next year.
    Happy Birthday George, 4 years old already.
    Hope your cold disappears very rapidly, Marlene.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails