Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 15 November 2023

Debi,

I have wanted a small wildlife pond for ages, the safest space is here in my veg section, but it was limited, most of the plants in this corner are evergreen, hubby found out this old black container, it is very clean, the size and shape was perfect for my needs, a nice depth and made from durable thick plastic. Once I had placed the container, I realised I had more room, it has a run off spout, so I have purchased some heavy duty pond liner, once it arrives I can create a lower level. I will replant the bulbs in the container and move a few more small plants.
My daughter did not know what to get me for my birthday, so I chose this Hellebore, I have a very dark red one (a previous gift from same daughter) and two pink/creamy ones, it's planted in front of the pot I will use to grow cucumbers, in the bed in front of the greenhouse. I got an early rhubarb crown, which we both love, I've planted it in the same bed, between the blueberries and the cucumber pots, plenty of room to grow. 
Storm Debi blew through on Monday, not so much rain in the day, sadly she blew most of the leaves off my Acer, they are not wasted, I brushed them up and added them to my leaf mulch, which I make in these two black dustbins. Behind the garage out of sight, a perfect place for them to break down, and no problems with rats, I made leaf mulch this way for the past two years and it works for me. 
The back section of our garden is looking really green, I am still a bit worried about the broad beans growing so high, will the winter weather kill them off, if that happens it's a lesson learnt, The potatoes are doing well, hubby has been chatting about making nice looking cages for both beds, which are needed because of all the cats here where we live. He would also like a gate, which I think would get in our way and catch our clothes as we walk by, I have a temporary barrier I can use when the little ones are here. 

The pond is now on hold until next spring, I will need some smaller grit to fill in the gaps in the sunk pebbles, and plants to ensure it looks good. I found enough plants to use around the pond and soften the look. It's in safe position, the grandchildren will not be allowed in the back section without me, I hope Will can have fun looking for bugs, not sure about George he would want to get into the water. I did start with just the container, but then my ambition grew.

Another tick off my list of things I would like, my list is tiny these days, we have been here almost 15 years, so most is done, once the hard landscaping is sorted closer to the house, it should mean nothing more big to do. How many times have I said that, the veg beds will keep my green fingers happy. 

I am less in the garden these days, I still manage to walk around most dry mornings, I don't have anything to do in the greenhouse, I mainly pick up the leaves blown around, they are too precious to leave rotting on the ground, our Magnolia tree still has leaves, these big ones need to be shredded before adding to dustbins.

6 comments:

  1. Small ideas always seem to grow and simple projects become more complex - that's what makes life interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to have a lovely little pond.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is always something to do or change in a garden. This time of year our garden is full of leaves, I've had half an hour out today just clearing the patio and by the side gate, luckily the wind blew a lot of them off the grass to the top of the garden, that's a job for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly, very late with the birthday wishes but I hope you enjoyed your special day.
    The wildlife pond will be wonderful when completed in the Spring. I hope you get lots of pleasure from it too.
    The blanket will be a lovely project to work on over the coming season. I like the colours and patterns you have used so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat little idea for the pond, and a very colourful post...says I, with all the white and grey outside my window!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have had the occasional dry, sunny day but there is so much wind and rain at the moment ... and always plenty of leaves still falling!

    Wishing you a happy Friday and a good weekend to come.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails