Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 3 November 2023

Phew, storm Ciaran.

I've started and I am enjoying this design once again, it's almost to the armhole shaping, I find it an easy pattern, I don't need to keep checking on what comes next. Being Aran, which is a thicker yarn for me, it does knit up quickly. Being so wet and windy outside, I have plenty of craft time.
These are my evening knitting, Grace is always on my lap, so I use double pointed needles which are shorter, I have made the top of the sock much longer, I do love the contrast colour, it goes well with the colours in the main yarn. Being 3ply, I have loads left over and another 100grm ball. I am playing with this design, the purple sections are using 4ply, I did not have any other 3ply, it looks to be working are the 3 areas are all places which get most wear. 
Hubby managed a second go and took off the top of the Magnolia tree, it looks terrible at the moment, but next spring it will vigorously grow back, all the leaves have been shredded and are in a black dustbin for leaf mulch. The logs are put in a pile at the side of the greenhouse, near the door for bugs. The left side of the tree needs to be done, once finished both mulch dustbins will be full. 
This side is bare, all the plants have gone from the bed, wooden furniture is in the garage, we moved the Olive tree to shelter from the wind. All this area will be dug out and replaced with paving, it will become our seating area. Just the three smaller pots to move, up by the greenhouse, once work starts. The levels are up and down with the removal of the decking, we popped a few bits of grass where we walk.
I got some radiator foil stuff, you should pop it behind the radiator, but this is for my greenhouse, I don't normally use any type of insulation, we don't normally get the heavy frost and snow along the south coast. Last year my bougainvillea struggled, it did not die, but it was not as strong in the summer, so I have popped some behind my top shelf to protect it and a couple of other plants, I have also wrapped the pot in some fleece, everything together should work enough

Wednesday night was very wet, the winds were not as bad as we feared, the garden greenhouse and house were fine in the morning, I am glad hubby sorted the Magnolia tree, it's leaves are huge and hardly any have dropped, our soil is saturated, I would not want to risk loosing it in a storm. Thursday was not as bad as expected,  but we did not go out at all, hubby cooked our main meal for mid day, I went to Pilates,  it was dry, breezy and cold. A day for knitting, I'm enjoying my different projects,  I am planning to start my Christmas blanket, 48 small squares, should be fun.

Our part of the south coast is often protected from the worse of the weather by Isle of Wight, again this was the case, locally there were some wind damage to buildings, roads remained open, schools were shut to ensure the safety of children. We have not heard of any flooding, and the promised dryish day today will help. This morning it is calm and sunny outside, time to pick up leaves blown about and pop to town.

10 comments:

  1. Once again we have escaped the worst of the weather but the ground is sodden.
    You're a quick knitter, even though Aran is thicker.
    Have a peaceful weekend:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My logical mind finds it very easy to workout repeat patterns and therefore not have to stop and check to often, and yes I do knit fast.

      Delete
  2. Oh, gorgeous! What lovely knitting. Just curious about what kind of a 'join' you use when you changed colours?
    Glad to hear you didn't get much from Ciaran. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your garden renovations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do anything fancy, I leave two tails (old and new yarn), once I have finished I weave the ends in, never had any come apart when worn.

      Delete
  3. ... enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely knits. Where can you buy the radiator insulation roll from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome work on the sweater, you are a very quick knitter like my Mom was. I am not as fast. I do really like the contrast colour on the socks.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I came by to return the blog visit and thank you for taking the time to comment on mine. Great photos. I love the socks. And I'll be curious about how well the radiator wrap will work. Seems like a good idea, so I hope it works well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using it at the back of the greenhouse trapping the warmth from the sun inside, I will post in a few weeks to say how it is working.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails