Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Thursday 3 February 2022

Back in our routine.

The snowdrops and other bulbs are blooming, my heavy clay soil rots most bulbs, so I mainly grow them in pots. I do have a few snowdrops around the garden, in hope they might spread. In truth I am happy just to see a couple blooms in each of the 3 locations they are planted. Soon I will move my small pots to where we can see them from the house. 
Inside I have changed my flowers to spring ones, I do love to see the Ivy, holly and fir displays, all silk never real, but it's also lovely to have some colour about the house. These tulips are now 3 years old, I store them carefully when not in use, daughter when she visited thought they were real. 
This is a very interesting book, set in Canada around mid 1800 to end of century, it follows the story of an Irish girl who travels there with her family looking for a better life. It is based on a true woman and events in her life, 542 pages long, I struggled at the start of the book, I often do with historic stories, but loved the detail put into her story. This being my 9th book read this year. 
I am doing well with my pink socks, I struggled to match the 2nd sock and had to unpick a lot of knitting to get the darker shade of pink in the matching position. Due to the way the shades form and the lady not wanting contrasting top, heel and toe, the top section of the sock is shorter. The way these shades fall is not to my taste, and to knit the 2nd sock matching without having to join the yarn was tricky. Having said that I am enjoying making them. I'm using a James Brett 4ply again. 

Monday and Wednesday mornings we had Molly whilst daughter was at the gym, Molly is rolling around the floor and playing with more toys. It's such fun to have her to play and as it's only the mornings, we still have the rest of the day to do things. Tuesday morning we went for coffee with the sign group, hubby came with me as there are now 2 other husbands, we went to a garden centre, we have been before, they do not mind us putting tables together, so we can all chat together, as well as doing sign we want the group to be social, so we are now arranging more coffee mornings. We did not walk around the garden centre looking at plants and stuff, too early in the year.

Nothing much is happening here, the man came to look at our outside chair legs, but he was not interested in doing them, so hubby has a plan to change legs about so we have 2 good chairs, and a friend will help him to try and sort the other 2 chairs. Even if we only end up with the table and 2 working chairs we are pleased, we will keep our other 2 chairs and sell the big table. 

I have been playing with my felt and fibre and hope to be able to cut out the cat soon, I went online and ordered the PFD pattern for Hamish the highland cow, I also got a PDF knitting pattern, once everything arrives via email, I can start cutting out animal patterns and start making the ones I want. 

Hobbycraft have not done anything about collecting my 2nd craft trolley, I have chased them twice. The other company has chosen to refund my parcel, even though I have told them I have finally received the items, so I have chased them asking them to send me an invoice. 

This morning my hairdresser is due, then we are popping to a huge Asda in a nearby town, we need a few things, but it will be nice to have a look around the store, it's drizzly wet here this morning. 

6 comments:

  1. I find snowdrops are tricky things to grow. I have some in the garden which were here when we moved in, over twenty eight years ago, but they've never spread and other snowdrops I've tried to introduce have come to nothing. I think you're as well growing them in pots where you have a bit more control over them. I love tulips, I haven't bought any yet this year, my vases are still full of daffodils, but I think their time will come at some point this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tulips do look real and very pretty. I may pop to the supermarket to buy some daffodils as I love to see them in my kitchen vases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea of swapping around the artificial flowers like that, much better than a static display (like we have in our hallway).
    We seldom see real snowdrops here - we have snowflakes that are commonly called snowdrops, but even they can be hard to find sometimes. They can often be seen growing in old and abandoned gardens but never seem to be put up for sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes changing the displays keeps things looking fresh and stops them getting too dusty.

      Delete
  4. Your tulips do look real and I like their colours.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very much looking forward to meeting Hamish! x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails