Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 21 February 2022

Oh naughty.

I got this knitting book for my friend, she loves knitting soft toys, but said recently she was bored with animals, I think this should be a nice change for her. She loves knitting, it was for her birthday in May. But they have the builders in, so I have given it to her early for stress relief. 



I am rarely disappointed with books, below are 2 which I started reading and had to stop, strangely the Jojo Moyes book I have tried to read twice, but I can't gel with main woman and the setting does not help, so I will pass it on with the other book, which after a few chapters I knew I had already read, back in early 2020.

This book started much the same as the book above, I think I have read this before, I checked all my list, and no this title was not there, but still I kept thinking this is so familiar. Then the story opened up and it's bringing back villains from another book, in a new twist to their deeds, not all villains have been caught in his stories, I really enjoyed this book. Book 16 read this year. 
I have followed 'All on the board' on Instagram for ages, I am always reading out quotes to hubby, they have now entered them all into a book. They started just popping words on their board in a London underground station, in 2017 to cheer people up, now there are boards in many stations through out the country. Hubby got me this book, it was new, no chance of any second hand ones yet. 
This quote is from yesterday, sad news our Queen has Covid, not nice at any age, I like so many others, wish her well soon, she is and has been a perfect female role model all my life. 

We have not done much in the past few days, the weather has kept us inside most of the time, I'm bored, not interested in any crafting, maybe knitting, but nothing to knit, so I read. Our book swap is still going strong, but as I am the quickest reader, I still have to find more books, charity shops help, but I must get back to our local library. 

The main event this week was Will's 5th birthday on Friday, we did not get to see him on his birthday, the weather kept us away. I did drive to theirs 9am on Saturday, passing loads of broken fences, branches off trees, but no big trees down, I was very amused to pass a summerhouse roof, dropped on the outside of a fence, by the road. We are lucky where we live, few huge trees and no trampolines, we had nothing extra in our garden. The fence is done for, but next door has propped it back up, it won't last, hubby will write to her, we will have to pay in full for the replacement, but she will make it as difficult as she can, sadly it's what she does best. Storm Franklin has a yellow wind warning in our area for 24 hours ending today at mid day, there is only so much you can say or want to read about windy days. 

I sat with Molly on Saturday morning, whilst everyone went to Will's party, plenty of space to run around, the venue did all the party stuff and provided all the food, other than cakes.  They were all back home by 1pm, I stayed most of the afternoon, Will had loads of Lego packs, and a whoopie cushion, which he loves. Sunday was a day inside, watching the weather again, it's boring, but it's how our winter is. Lucky for us, we have power, no snow, and as Sue says in Her in him out2, how we live is much better than our parents, warm home, food and plenty of media to feed our minds. 


15 comments:

  1. I like catching All on the Board on Instagram. It's often very funny. I like JoJo Moyes, but I agree, if you can't relate to a main character, it can be very difficult to continue reading. I've given up on a few books this month that I couldn't get into, two were from the library and one from the charity shop. Life's too short to read a book you're not enjoying, when there are plenty more out there you would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your friend enjoys the knitting book, that's certainly something a little different. I really enjoyed The Giver of Stars, such a lovely story, but I found it very different from every other Jojo Moyes book, a different style I thought. We're in the middle of Storm Franklin at the moment, we've had all weathers this past week, wind, rain, snow, and even a little sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 storms in 1 week, our weather is very different this year.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to buy that book, my son is a manager for London Underground. I know about the board messages but I'm not on Instagram and my days of going to London are over. I hope the Queen recovers from Covid, such a worry as she is almost 96 years old. You'd think your neighbour would want to have the fence fixed and not be awkward, I hope you can get it sorted soon. It is so windy here today Storm Franklin winds seems stronger than Storm Eunice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the book and have popped a couple markers on quotes I love, as for next door, she loves making a fuss and being the underdog, not to be put on, always have to have her way.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Sue, we do have more than our parents but they seemed to be happy with what they had and I don't remember my Mum and Dad being miserable about the weather, they just got on with it.
    I guess coming in to a roaring coal fire made a difference, central heating is great but it doesn't give the comfort of a real fire does it.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved coming home to a log fire when I was a child, sat on the floor to feel the heat, as a child I wanted for nothing and was happy with less, just a good book and a radio to listen to music.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure your friend will enjoy her new knitting book,it made me smile.
    Glad you have managed to weather the storms over the last week. We have been ok here as we live in the shelter of some hills.
    Happy birthday Will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't believe its Wills 5th birthday already. Love the message for the Queen, they do write some wonderful things. Oh, that knitting book is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I too hope the Queen recovers soon.

    The storms have not been good have they, roll-on Spring.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS I also meant to say Happy Birthday to Will.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hard to believe that Wills is five years old already. I'm glad you didn't get too much damage from the storm, and hopefully (one can always hope!) that neighbour might just be nice for a change :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wills is sure growing up quickly.

    Love the naughty knitting book.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the knitting book, especially the Vicar with his showstopper! They will be great fun to knit :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails