Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 14 February 2022

Scrooge or eco warrior

 We ordered an afternoon tea from our local lady, we had it delivered Sunday 13th, there is always too much food for one sitting, so we had a lovely late lunch and then saved some cakes for Valentines day. So beautifully created, we always have them packed in boxes, she does at no extra cost normally serve them on tiered stands and loan cups and saucers. 

Hubby is making a lovely curry for tonight, we never dine out, as I feel we end up in a crowded place, given the venues choice of Valentines celebration, so we stay home together, nice bottle of Prosecco. We have the leftover scones and cream from yesterdays afternoon tea for lunch.

Hubby can't make his mind up, am I cheap? or saving the planet, I pulled out cards from previous years from my memory box to reuse, saving money and not adding to the card mountain I already have in my memory box. I'm happy to be both.

These are from last year.

Book 13 read this year, I do love Sharon Bolton, her plots are always different and brilliant, this one did not disappoint, I could not put the book down, it was exploring guilt, and very clever with it. Finding a book with a great plot is always a gift, I've had a few good books so far this year. 

My SIL gave me a beautiful gift over the weekend, I did ask if he could help, what was it? a bag of grass cuttings from his lawn, he did his 1st cut of the year. My composter was getting low, I have not added any bulk for a couple of months, so now it's full again, it's always the simple things which make me smile. 

Saturday we had a couple of hours at youngest daughters house, Will was practising his writing, he is now trying to write sentences, it's so very pleasing to see him so engaged with his school work, Molly was full of cuddles and then rolling all around the floor. George was having his afternoon nap, but I did get to wake him up before we came home, the smile when he saw me, was stunning. I am so blessed to have this happy family living so close.

We are happy to have our afternoon tea a day early, I would not be able to eat afternoon tea and then have a nice meal afterwards, our local lady lives close by, so it's an easy drop for her, she does not like you collecting, she is strict on who can enter her kitchen. This is becoming our Valentine's day treat to each other, hubby stopped getting flowers a few years ago, on my request, the cost of flowers can be so expensive. 

Valentines day has changed so much for us, no huge bunches of red roses, boxes of chocolates, meals out, weekends away, my hubby is a romantic and very thoughtful, he has not changed, but the way we view the world has, so a homecooked meal cooked with so much love, a small nod from me and he would get flowers. I really do prefer our chilled out, less of everything life we have now. 

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have the perfect day, just what you want. I wouldn't go out for a meal on Valentines Day if you paid me, far too crowded and overpriced food. A local restaurant is advertising a Valentines meal at £55 EACH - extortionate. Admittedly it's 6 courses, but who needs or wants to eat that much food in one meal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far to much food, 6 courses, and too expensive.

      Delete
  2. The afternoon tea looks delicious, definitely enough there for two sittings so you can eke it out and make the celebrations last longer. Enjoy your Valentine's Day together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always use the same lady and always plan to eat it over 2 days.

      Delete
  3. Happy Valentines day to you. We don't tend to make a big fuss about the day, just a nice meal at home and spending time together. I never buy cards for any occasion as I always make them and I know they are appreciated.
    Glad the car passed MOT.
    Enjoy your week whether inside or out x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't enjoy making cards anymore, I have kept everything I have, grandchildren can use it as they get older.

      Delete
  4. I still get out the Christmas cards that I know were in use at a house we moved from in 1992!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's great that you appreciate the small things instead of making big gestures on Valentine's Day. I too don't like going out to celebrate. It's always low key here too. It's just the way we like it. I think I am slowly coming to realise that there isn't really that much in life that I hanker after, I'm pretty content with my lot really. It's a nice feeling, preferable to constantly striving for the next big thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our daughter said it perfectly, it should be about memories, not things.

      Delete
  6. I think it's sweet you are using a card over again. Imagine if you both wrote messages in those same cards for years, what a treasure they would become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the hope, lots of messages, not cards.

      Delete
  7. You are definitely more eco warrior in my book. G has never sent me a valentine card in all our years together as he hasn't a single romantic bone in his body. Your afternoon tea looks scrumptious and hasn't had to travel far so its supported a local business as well as having no air miles. I'm making curry for tea. That's my gift to G 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try and purchase from local shops and people, we love our village and hope to support locally when we can.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely day you had. The tea looks amazing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails