Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday 6 February 2022

Windy, wet weekend

I could not resist purchasing this book, I love almost everything she writes, and this was a brilliant story, telling the journey of 600 Australian brides, their trip to reunite with their British husbands here in the UK, traveling on a British aircraft carrier at the end of the war. I could not put it down, book 10 read this year. 
I am still knitting these socks, I did get distracted by the book above, I'm past the heel and knitting towards the toes, but look, I am so cross, I really hate to see a knot in the yarn. Yarn is not cheap, so can you imaging how I feel to have 2 knots in my work, I never start or finish with a knot, I always join on the edge of a row, so the threads can be sewn in. I am simply not pleased. 
Had a lovely lady knock on our door handing out this bit of paper, they are hoping to have a street party for our Queens jubilee, I have agreed this would be a great idea, and have offered to help. The layout of our few streets are perfect for this, we have main routes at each end of our streets, so traffic can flow freely round us, I do hope this can go ahead, it's a really good way of bringing everyone together again. 

We spent a couple hours in Asda on Thursday, and got most of what was on our list, not too much food, we only had a few branded items to get, we did find a nice huge leg of lamb for Easter Sunday, it was a good price, still expensive, but it should feed 5 adults and 2 hungry boys. We also go new pillows, which we will not use until the new mattress comes. We got a Batman quilt cover and a new lunch box for Will, he does have school dinners, but he had asked for a lunch box, these are both for his birthday in a couple of weeks. We passed on loads of items, but picked up bits we need to replace. We chose to pop to Asda because they are still running their Blue light card discount scheme, we had heard of this card, but until recently we did not know it was also available for military veterans, which hubby is, so we did intend to get items knowing we could get for this month a 10% discount. 

Friday was a lazy day, reading and knitting, we did stay up late to watch Graham Norton, which is OK because I never get up early on a Saturday morning. Saturday was another lazy start, time on here catching up with blogs, Will came before lunch for a visit, he enjoyed lots of reading and colouring, then watched the rugby with Grancha, we went to our local park. We had takeaway pizza for tea from the new Dominoes in the village, Will decided home made was better. Mummy picked him up later, he decided not to sleepover. 
 It's a busy weekend for Will, it's fun to have him with us, he is full of interesting facts, did you know the cross on the top of a hot cross bun is like the Scottish flag, even though the top of the bun is not blue. We spent time looking at a book full of Chinese new year facts, something else he has learnt at school, normally on wet days Will gets bored, but school has opened up a brand new world, he reminds me of his mum at that age, she was also like a sponge with new facts wanting to know everything. 

12 comments:

  1. The Ship of Brides is one of my favourite Jojo Moyes book, such a great story. Oh, isn't that annoying when you find a knot in yarn, my pet hate, and very annoying to find two. It sounds like you had a good shop in Asda. We have an Asda Living here, no food, just household goods, and I think it's very well priced. We have a big Asda supermarket too but the Asda Living is great when you don't want to food shop too as it stocks more household goods that you find in the supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was an Asda living, but it's in the same huge building as the Asda supermarket, each has a separate entrance, but no dividing walls inside. It's on it's own site on the edge of a local town.

      Delete
  2. It's great that Will loves school. Makes such a difference. The Jubilee party sounds like a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww your Will reminds me a bit of my nephew William who is full of interesting facts and is inquisitive and bright. I put most of it down to great parenting going back through generations x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But his teacher is opening up this big world for him, I can't get enough of him building words as he reads. We are all book worms in this family.

      Delete
  4. That book sounds like a good read I have read some of her books I'll have to look this one up. Yes finding a knot in your yarn is so annoying especially when it's expensive yarn you just don't expect it. Little ones seem to be so clever these days my grandson is the same he tends to get fixated on something until he knows all there is to know about it then gets bored and moves on to the next thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Jubilee Party sounds like a great idea, as does reading that book :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very frustrating to find knots in the yarn, especially when you are so careful to avoid them in your knitting. Sounds like a good read, have to make a note. It´s fascinating to see things from the little ones perspective, it´s all those things that we have probably forgotten too, I know I´m enjoying exploring with Theo xcx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not read any of Jojo Moyes books, I must add this to my list to read!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knots in yarn...aarrrrgh...pet hate. Main road outside our cottage, albeit supposedly 30mph speed limit...could rather scupper any street party plans for us! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adding another book to my growing list. Wonder when I will find the time to get to them all.

    Ouch on the knot in your yarn.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read all Jo Jo Moyes books but I think this one was my least favourite. Yes it's very annoying finding a yarn knot, especially when yarn isn't cheap.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails