Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 23 February 2022

Calm weather today

After the storms the garden is looking good, there is loads of moss blown from the garage roof onto the lawn, and loads of plant material blown about, we are not doing anything at the moment as the winds are still blowing. 
We have buds on our Magnolia tree, it's far too early and as much as I love the shocking pink colour, I think most of these blooms will not flower, it's just too early. 
My metal table looks good, I keep changing pots, 
so we can see blooms from inside. 

Hellebores are still in full bloom, I hope to have more in the garden next year, white ones in my small raised bed by the back door. In the seed tray is seeds from the black flowers grown in the tub, I harvested them last year.  
I have Acers in 3 places, the big one is looking very healthy after we moved it last year, can't wait to see the colourful display, so close to the decking, I have a trio in a big pot and a green one in the smaller pot, these are by our patio doors, all are in bud. My pomegranate, which I left out this winter has loads as buds as well, the Olive is doing well, it has lost loads of leaves, but I have feed for it in early April. 
This is a Chinese Hazel, I purchased it a couple  years ago, it has hardly grown, last year I re-potted it into this pot in hope I can get new growth, it is hardy, so I have left it in a sheltered spot, but nothing I do can get it to grow, it's not dying, just not growing. 
The greenhouse stayed safe as did my shed, both have buildings in the wind path which protects them, the plants are doing good in the greenhouse, but as yet we have not had any real winter weather, only a few mornings with light frost. March is our coldest month, and if we see snow it will come in the next few weeks, we have been lucky in the past few years and only had a few flurries of snow, and no deep of snow on the ground, I have fleeces in the shed for my Olive, Acer and a couple of other plants, ready should I need them. It's a case of keeping my eye on the weather forecast and react as necessary. 

Normally at this time of year I am itching to get gardening, but this year I'm quiet OK not being outside, I am not sowing any seeds, I will purchase bedding plug plants from our local shop in the village in early April, I can grow them on for a nice mixture of colour and form. I have loads of houseplants which are feeding my desire to grow, some with babies which give me my gardening fix.

Thank you for all your birthday wishes for Will, he's a happy lad, and a joy to play with, they are all coming for lunch tomorrow, we are having a party lunch with cupcakes, no reason, just because we can.

The knitting book is great fun, I do worry that soon all the ladies in sign group will have a knitted lookalike doll, there were loads of chuckles as everyone had a look at the book. 

4 comments:

  1. Have fun and enjoy tomorrow's party lunch :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hellebores look lovely, I planted some at the caravan last year, bit of an error as it's probably only the site owner who'll get to see them at their best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is still looking good, even after the storms. We, like you, had damage to our fence but our neighbours have said that they're going to replace it so that will save Mick having to repair it. It's currently snowing here now, though I don't think it's going to last. Enjoy your party lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love hearing what is happening in your garden. It sounds like your plants escaped the worst storm damage, so that is good :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails