Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Thursday 10 February 2022

False spring

Spring is in the air, these pots on my metal table are beautiful, I do swap the pots around, I like looking out and seeing colour here. I have pots below the table and along the decking at this time of year, so many bulbs starting to grow.
Snowdrops always flower for ages, again I love to see these dotted around the garden. 
Bigger pots along the neighbours half wall, which are in shade half the day are starting to bloom, I almost always mix bulbs in bigger pots. 

I have cut back all the old leaves on my Hellebores, the pink flowers are in the ground and the black flowers in a huge pot. I have the 2 plants I had inside over Christmas with white flowers to plant, but I can't decide where to pop them. 
I am thinking of digging out this small raised bed by the backdoor and if I do I can put the white Hellebores in each end. I would like the Fuchsia located to a postion where we can see it from the house.  
I have wild garlic to rip out of this side bed, a couple of years ago the whole bed was full of the stuff, now it's just here in the middle section. I got cheap bulbs years ago without realising these were included. They do have pretty white flowers, but they are a thug and spread everywhere. 
Colour in the greenhouse, these have flowered all winter, I popped 3 plants into this small long pot, I will need to cut them back soon, then I will start feeding them, ready for the coming summer. 
Everywhere you look, there are signs of spring, tender plants with buds, blooms on plants far to early, this is false spring, we have had warmer temperatures in the past few weeks and a couple of days of light rain. It's not been cold enough this winter for the ground to harden, we get colder weather in March, and if we see snow again it's in March. 

I am doing very little outside, the bugs need the old growth on plants to shelter from weather,  the garden is tidy, I do move the spring bulb pots around, after all the work of planting, it's nice to be able to watch the colourful booms when they arrive. I have not purchased anything, this year all I should need is some bedding plants, which I will get locally at plug plant size and grow them on. I'm not saying I won't purchase things for the garden, but I have no big plans. 

It's warm in the greenhouse, I do have an automatic window opener, which helps, but a couple times this week, I have had to open the door as well. 

It's a mean time of year, I am itching to get outside and grow things, but it's just too soon, the sun shines and it's been much warmer, but I sit on my hands and watch the birds feed, roll on April. 

6 comments:

  1. We're seeing a few shoots starting to push through the soil but you're way ahead of us here. It's been a mild winter but I doubt we'll get off so lightly, I think winter is probably yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planted hellebores in the bank bed at the rear of the caravan....with hindsight, probably not the best choice of plant as they may well be past their best by the time we go back! We have loads of new shoots and buds and things pushing through the soil....but yes, too early. If we get snow here, it's generally in Feb or March.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its lovely seeing some colour appearing in the garden. I just bought some primroses from Asda, beautiful colours ready to dress the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you do your pots, wish I could do the same thing here but it is much too cold the poor bulbs would die.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful to see colour in the garden isn't it.
    It seems plants are flowering earlier this year.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter in America said they are also experiencing a False Spring. It makes her want to get out into the garden, but she knows the weather will change again so is resisting the impulse!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails