Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Tuesday 17 August 2021

A finish and a rant.

I have finished knitting this shawl, it's a lovely size, I stopped because I was running out of the main colour yarn. All I have to do now is sew in the ends from 10 colours, and also a knot which was found in the middle of the ball of yarn, which I get so annoyed with, as I don't like to see knots in my work. 
These photo's show the true colours, which I do love, and because I have 2 pairs of gloves in these colours, I will keep this from myself, it will look good with both my winter coats. It's great to use some of my stash to make things, I don't have a huge stash of yarn, I will have another look and find something else to make.
These shawls are designed so well, both in the making and the wearing, so simple to make, other colours I have made can be seen here , here and here , this I think is the best. 
George is not well, he has a really bad cough, can't sleep too well as he needs to be raised, daughter has raised his cot mattress, but he wriggles so much in his cot. This little man has so many issues with his chest, but not normally in the summer months. 
On Monday morning I popped over to sit with George and Molly whilst mummy popped to a hospital appointment, I spent most of the time cuddling him, mummy called her doctors late morning, who suggested she call 111, after a long wait, they told her because of his age, a doctor needs to see him, call her surgery. The automatic answer service said she was caller 19 and should go to 111, after a very long wait, she was informed a doctor would call her back. 4 hours later the doctor told her she would have to take him to A&E to be seen by anyone, this being at 5.35pm.  A&E bless them, checked George over fully, sadly they had to take a covid test as he had a really bad cough, which really upset him, happily it came back negative, they came home just before 10pm last night.  What is happening to our local doctors surgery, this was a normal doctors appointment, get his chest listened too, make sure it's nothing to be worried about, as he is under 2 and has Downs Syndrome, daughter has popped him to the surgery before with the same issue. Daughter does not ring the surgery often, both boys gets loads of cough and colds, which are dealt with at home, George's notes would show he has issues which before has resulted him staying in hospital to be treated, but the surgery could not see a sick toddler. I find this worrying, I have heard other stories of the difficulty in getting to see a doctor, how can hospitals manage, when they are dealing with hopefully simple things which should be sorted at our local doctors surgery. 

I love our NHS, our local hospital, QA at Portsmouth is brilliant, as a family we have had to use it on many occasions, sometimes planned and other times not, and always found them so caring and hard working. BUT our A&E is not there to replace our local doctors, I have read the doctors are far too busy, there is a lack of GP's, but this has always been the case, and I know covid has changed so much.

Getting to speak to anyone at our surgery is almost impossible, they want you to fill out online forms, which are poor in their questions, twice when I have need to speak to a doctor in the past year, I have completed the questions, only to be told to ring 999, this because I have an underlying issue, ( I did not ring 999), when asking the surgery about their online, the answer is yes we know it's not right, but.....

Sadly our NHS needs someone who understands the medical side to control it, rather than a MP or a finance lead person. 

7 comments:

  1. That is absolutely horrifying. I hope poor George is feeling much better now. Our surgery has been wonderful during the pandemic, but I have read numerous horror stories online. Goodness knows how many lives have ended early because people have been denied access to their doctor and I do wonder how many doctors and nurses have resigned from A&E posts because they have been swamped by cases that normally would be seen at a local surgery and have ended up disillusioned and burnt out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hear of so many cases which are passed from pillar to post these days but small children should be seen as a priority, never mind children who are known to have had previous issues like George. Bless him, having to have a covid test too. I hope he's soon on the mend. Your shawl is lovely, nice colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is our world coming to? I feel so sad when I hear stories like this. I do hope George is feeling better again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about poor George. Ir's the same here in our suburb in Brisbane in Australia. I feel like I have to sell my soul to get an appointment with my doctor. I love your shawl. Does it have a particular pattern name? I'd love to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope George is on the mend. I sympathise with your frustration regarding the run around with the doctors. When Theo was poorly a little while ago, they had the same thing, with hours inbetween waiting for return calls. They ended up in the A&E being made to feel uncomfortable for taking up their time when a GP could have dealt with it. Your shawl is really pretty, nice to keep something for yourself too. xcx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope George is on the mend. We are finally getting to meet face to face with our GP's. Though how long that will last is anyone's guess.

    I do love the pattern of that shawl.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know whats going on with doctors, it's just getting worse. Our surgery is still only booking telephone consultations and then it's up to the doctor if they think you should be seen, it seems a pointless extra step really when most people who book appointments need to be seen. The same thing happened with my youngest grandson a while back, he had an ongoing cough and they wouldn't see him, after about 3 weeks of calling and talking to the doctor Joanne managed to get him seen and he had a chest infection, perhaps if the doctor had seen him earlier it might not have turning into that. It makes me angry, they need to start seeing people, especially young children, and the doctor should not tell you to call 111 or go to A&E if the surgery is open, that's not what it's for and is why there are long waiting times at A&E. Your daughter should lodge a complaint at the surgery. (Sorry I went on a rant there too!). I do hope George is doing better now.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails