Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 6 August 2021

So much kindness

Walking in the village, we stopped at our barbers, Will got to say hello to Declan Brooks, who had returned from Tokyo with his bronze medal from the BMX freestyle at the Olympics, we had just been looking at his photos in a shop window, Will was really impressed, we have not met Declan before, he was so lovely to a little boy. 
George's smile is so fantastic, he had just finished his 1st tea cake, sat at the table in our lovely local bistro, so happy to be part of our lunch, Will always has a tea cake. Molly slept through, the owner of Darcey's, Nicky gave Will a KitKat, she often finds him treats, walking back home the barber also gave him a lolly, such generous people. 

Molly is growing, she is wearing one of her new outfits, daughter likes to see her in yellow as well as pink. She is a wriggler, she is moving about loads, just on her 1 month birthday. 

 We moved to Portchester back in 2009, we have always loved our street, many of the houses have changed ownership, but the majority of the residents are lovely, always speaking as we walk by. Our village has been swallowed up by all the housing spilling out from local towns, driving through it would be hard to know where the boundary's are. But everyone strives to keep it as a village, we are unique in many ways, we have a castle, the main road now bypasses the main shopping street, we are on the shore line, our lovely parks are well kept by our local council, we have loads to be proud of. We have lost a few shops, but a couple new names have moved in, there is so much hope our small shopping centre can survive. 

Thank you for your kind comments. I don't know why I feel so blue, I'm not sleeping well, to many aches and pains, along with the hot flushes. I'm also bored, normally I have loads of plans working out in my head, everything is now sorted in our house and garden, having nothing to do is a very strange feeling. I have been out to different places this week, Southampton on Monday, village on Wednesday, Fareham on Thursday, but the gloom remains. This constance rain does not help, I need to start reading and crafting again, our summer is disappearing so quickly this year. I read the comment 'our days are long and slow, but the year is rushing by', it's very true. 

Our friends granddaughter has Covid, she is not ill, but it's a worry, luckily for us we missed our get together on Tuesday so we can still meet with daughter, Will, George and Molly. 



8 comments:

  1. I think it's the same with a lot of villages, they grow into small towns. I live about nine miles from the centre of Leeds, the areas around here were small mining villages but the population here in our village has now increased to just under 15,000. We've got a thriving high street with many independent shops but the chains are beginning to move in, we now have Costa, Subway and Dominos, and Wetherspoons has also arrived. I suppose we have a good mix of businesses really. We've had a few showers this week, not the heavy rain forecast, but we're due storms today, we'll see if they arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Costa is coming into our village, we already have 3 independent café/bistro, I don't like their bitter coffee, so we wont change from our regular bistro.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you're feeling so blue, Marlene, I hope you find something to pick you up soon. Your grandchildren are lovely, both boys have gorgeous smiles. Nice of the athlete to pose for a picture with Will. Yes the weather is annoying, having finished the work inside the caravan we now need some consistent good weather so we can get on with the van garden, which needs a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How brilliant to have an Olympic Medalist in your village and for everyone to meet him.
    I bet it's wonderful to have a girl after all the boys. That's where I've been lucky - 2 of each so far plus another boy arriving very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will and George look so happy and Molly is beautiful.
    I can understand your feeling blue, Marlene, G and I are struggling at the moment too. Our move is not working out very well and I'm simply not sleeping either. Life seems so different now for all of us, doesn't it. Be kind to yourself and I hope you will feel better soon. Sending hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So exciting to meet an Olympian! I am sorry you are feeling off, sleep is so crucial. I know because I lack good sleep and just feel so tired all the time. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to meet an Olympian ...
    I do like the photographs of Will, George and Molly.
    Hope you feel better and brighter soon.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that you are managing to keep your village spirit alive. I imagine it would be hard to do when you are slowly being swallowed by a larger center.

    How lovely that young Olympian was to a your Grandson. That meeting will be something he always remembers.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails