Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 21 August 2021

Crafting a new project

 

I have started some knitting, I'm being really brave, I started this jacket a while ago, the pattern is not easy to read and I got myself very confused, so I ripped it out. I am not helping matters because I am knitting the body in one piece, I don't want joins at the side, this is for George.
Sorry the photo's are the wrong way up, I could not turn them, I am using Stylecraft, Highland Heathers DK, 100% acrylic, so hardy for a little boy to wear. I am finding this project very bulky, I normally use 4ply and much thinner needles, these are very old needles, I can't say when they were purchased, but they are lovely to knit with. 

I have just finished reading this book, almost 600 pages, so another big read, I have read this author before, and she did not disappoint, the story followed one tangled family recovering from a tragedy, with another unfolding. My 34th book read this year. 
This will be my next book, it arrived in the post yesterday from Maggie, she has a lovely blog, and decided to pass on a couple of books recently, I have read Peter May before, but not this interesting one, set in these times. 
We have been working in the garden, we dug out the raised bed and moved it to it's permanent place, I took this photo yesterday morning, hubby did put all the soil back in, it's raining today, so I'm not going out to take the updated photo. 
It's been a busy few days, we have paced ourselves in the garden, there is no rush and these days we don't need to overdo things, the raised bed is now planted, the rain arrived as fore caste overnight, so the plants should bed in, I have a few gaps, but I just have to decide what things I want to move. It should rain again tomorrow, so no plans to work in the garden until next week. It does feel good to be doing things together outside. 

We did pop back to the garden centre, I had to return one of the lovely lamps, it did not work, I was not surprised, when I opened the box the packaging was damaged, and the top of the lamp had been opened. Sadly they had sold out of this design so we had a refund, neither of us wanted to look around for anything else. We did pop into Home bargains, which are close by to get some cleaning items, a couple of things we were unable to get, they did have loads of empty spaces on their shelves. 

Yesterday I popped to our neighbours for a catch up coffee, we have not seen each other for a couple of weeks, hubby took his bird house apart and replaced some rotted wood, now it's looking really good, sadly none of the birds use it. 

With my knitting I have read through the pattern and I have written it out in a way I can understand, I am OK with the body, I did have to add 2 stitches for the pattern to work, but I have allowed for them in the top back section. George is really tall and thin, he is 21 months old but is wearing clothes aged 9 to 12 months, these fit him around his chest and waist, but often are short, which in the summer is not a problem. This jacket I am making the correct chest size and I am adding length, it should keep him warm in the cooler months. I also have some baby joggers for him, which are the correct age for him, so the length is great, but I am taking in the side seams so the fit his waist. 

Later today George is coming over for a sleep over, he is much better, Will is at Grandma's house, so mummy and daddy have just Molly, who is now sleeping longer, so they should be able to catch up with some sleep. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm pleased to hear that George is on the mend. I rarely knit anything in pieces these days, I hate sewing up and it's much easier to knit things in one piece. I agree, Maggie has a lovely blog. It's nice when you connect with like-minded people through blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm catching up from "unretiring" for the month. I'm so glad George (and all of you) are ok, and that he weathered an A&E visit well. I hope someday that I can knit well enough to adapt patterns--right now, making a recognizable item is my biggest goal. I'm going to see if our library has the Peter May. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pleased to read that George is much better, that is good news.

    Enjoy that book by Peter May.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little jacket looks lovely, you will enjoy making it to suit his little body.
    Tin Can Knits is a Canadian site that have lovely Free, easy , multi size patterns. I find the Flax a very good jumper to alter, as it is knitted top down .You can lengthen body or sleeves as you like and it's easy to add your own cables etc or just make perfectly plain.
    They are also on Ravelry....have fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely colour of yarn. I know George will love his new jacket.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that George is getting better and that's a Lovely colour for the jacket you're knitting.
    Hope you enjoy the book

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails