Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Thursday 10 March 2022

Get up, get out

I have used this image before taken from the internet,

it says it all. 

 I have made our rich fruit cake, it's for Easter, when all the family are here, for after our lunch, it's my Christmas cake, but I won't marzipan or ice it, just a lovely fruit cake. My brother will be here again at Easter, he went home after Christmas before we cut the cake, so this was made with him in mind. I always soak the fruit in the zest and juice of oranges and lemons, so for two days the house smelt wonderful. 

Monday was such a beautiful sunny day and not too cold, I went out in the garden all afternoon, I have cut back loads, did some tidying around the plot, and planted a couple of small shrubs. Our magnolia tree is coming into bloom, every year we get blooms before leaves, the shades of pink are lovely along side all the yellow of the daffodils. 


Tuesday we stayed in the village, hubby got a haircut, we had lunch at our local Bistro, we have not been there for ages, we did wonder in a couple of shops, I needed birthday cards.
Wednesday we did not have Molly, so I sorted the back rail in my wardrobe, where all my longer clothes hang, I did not remove much, but just checked what I had there. We went to The Range for a new blind for our upstairs bathroom window, the old one is 12 years old and was a bit thin in places and some bits and pieces for the garden. 

A perfect piece of news this week, daughter went to Will's first school parents evening, these days you are given an appointment time, so no crowds, Will start at school has been very good, he interacts with everyone, and is helpful in class and plays well when outside, daughter was really pleased, we were not surprised as Will loves school. 

I have actively been doing more, making myself put the reading book down and get going, my worry levels have been high again, nothing in my family (thank goodness) but with the neighbour, Covid ( a couple of friends have picked it up) all the prices rises and this horrible war, Putin, you are making war, and causing your own people to suffer, but I don't think you care.

I have started getting my sewing things together, I need to make 3 cushions for our bed, cut down 2 king-size quilt covers to cot-size, ( making good use of our old sets, for Molly's cot), a new peg bag. Then I can allow myself to make another rabbit, and a mouse, cat and dog, and all their clothes, I have everything I require, but I want to get household jobs done first. I have seen curtains in a pale grey for our bedroom, we can't get them in shop, so I will order after the weekend and get our bedroom finished. 


11 comments:

  1. It sounds like your mojo has returned with the good weather. Lots of plans and things you want to do, that should keep you very busy. Your Easter cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your anxiety levels Marlene, like you I know keeping busy is the key, especially if the things you're doing are things you enjoy. Get stuck in and take care of yourself. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your Internet image is so right. I can't believe the propaganda, Russians being told the Ukraine started the war against them. No wonder he has stopped all social media...the truth will out! Like you I've been busying myself in the garden generally tidying. Keeping as busy as possible helps me not agonise over things I personally can't change. Looking forward to seeing the animals you make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every year I admire other people’s magnolias. I really must get one. COVID in my household too so I’m on edge and waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with that, our beautiful planet is being destroyed and Putin is evil beyond belief. I am worried we are heading towards another World War, I had hoped I would never see that in my lifetime. Your cake looks delicious and your tree is beautiful. Well done Will on his excellent school report.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such good news about Will at school, isn't he doing well :)
    Your fruit cake looks gorgeous. I bet it won't last long when you cut it.
    Putin is nothing less than a bully who is also deranged! No wonder he's stopped the media from reporting to his own people. He tells them only what he wants them to believe. He's downright evil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to get motivated sometimes, I know I struggle now that I don't go out to work, it's the same thing everyday, I find that very hard, plus not having the interaction with others people. Glad Will has settled into school and is doing well, he and Bonnie started the same time, Bonnie is only just 4 1/2 so is one of the younger ones in reception, it's good that they enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we are all feeling very anxious on account of current world events and the threats being banded about by a very narcissistic individual. I have found it very hard to post anything in the last few weeks. Normal life seems trivial in the extreme, in contrast with what is going on in the Ukraine, but I know that we are lucky that that is still our reality.
    I am happy that Will is doing well at school. They just get to a point where they need the challenge of the outside world don't they? Although some take to it better than others.
    I've just had a really bad cold this week, not Covid, thankfully. Many people seem to have forgotten that it is still around, now all restrictions have been lifted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure I can smell your wonderful Easter Cake through the computer screen :)

    Well done to Will on a great start to school.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea for Will. So glad he is doing so well at school.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails