Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 5 July 2023

Lazy summer time

 I am enjoying the garden view again, it feels good to sit and see the colourful flowers, watch the lovely lights turn on as it gets dark, it's peaceful here. Part of the joy in the view is the knowledge on the work it took to create it, many mistakes were made over the years, plants lovingly purchased, died or grew too large, we often changed things to improve, as like so many gardens it evolves. 


I don't have any photo's showing our bare garden when we moved in, the flower bed at the back was there, no plants just covered in yellow stones, in this photo below, I had already dug out part of the decking along the fence, later I created the raspberry bed and the side bed along by the garage. The back was just a poorly made raised concrete section, which had many uses before my greenhouse was built. The Magnolia tree was then the star of the garden, it still is. This photo is from spring 2010, even the lawn was dead. I did a post here of the evolution of our back garden. 

Just a little posy of sweet-peas,  it's my favourite flower at this time of year, every year I try and grow them with little success,  so this posy is a good result for me,  only 6 plants, popped in the back of my raised bed. I am hopeful of loads more to come, loving the mixture of colours. These are the only flowers I cut and bring inside. 

Stitching is another slow relaxing pastime, I first picked a needle up when in junior school, my mum was always knitting or sewing, she passed her skills on the me, both my sisters know how to knit and sew, but neither make much. My younger sister likes to purchase fabric and wools, but they stay in her craft room, I do see there are two types of crafting, those who collect bits and those who make things, for years I collected, now I am using up my stash. I don't do much hand stitching, cross stich takes time, and when I am doing designs like this one, it keeps my mind busy, I enjoy the creative side of it. 

This week is all about selfcare, resting, I ache so much, knees, hips and even hands, I have filed my nails short, so many broke last week, I can try and get them growing again. I have time to rub in creams, do a few stretches, and generally get back to myself. I'm not worried about steps this week.

Tennis at Wimbledon is back on TV, both hubby and I love watching, already watched some brilliant matches, I also stitch at the same time, often stopping to watch TV.

Monday hubby and I had a day together, it was cooler, we spent time outside, the garden heals and relaxes us both, I was taken out to lunch in the village, we avoided the rain storm, and relaxed all afternoon.  Tuesday, another lazy day at home, we are not doing much at all, it's lovely to have time to relax and rest, another huge rain storm, the garden is looking much better.

Today I am on a wet felting course, just a quick bus ride into town, I am looking forward to learning something new, I have wanted to do felting for years. 

3 comments:

  1. I always love seeing your garden, and I can imagine how wonderful it must be now to sit there and truly enjoy it. Have a happy summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to see a picture of how your garden used to look. You've made so much progress with it to get it looking so beautiful. Enjoy your felting course. I look forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sweet peas do look lovely.
    Hope you enjoy some more lazy relaxing days this week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails