Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 8 July 2023

Blooming garden

This back section is looking good, in fact it's the best it's ever been, hubby has cut back the willow tree, it grows so fast and is hard to keep to a manageable size, so we decided to remove it, we will soon dig out the roots, it's not an easy decision to remove a healthy tree, the birds have never nested in the tree,  but it is the wrong tree in the wrong place. I plan to extend the raspberries next year, adding more early harvest types. We do have 2 trees in the ground and our Olive in a huge tub, which is good for a small garden. 
I love agapanthus, the huge clump in the far corner was a plant I purchased years ago, this clump at the front of the photo, was separated from the main plant, I have another clump elsewhere in the garden. I have 20 heads on the big plant and 8 on the second plant. 

Our Acer loves this spot, we both agree we are so pleased we planted it on it's own in this spot, it was moved in 2021 and has doubled in size, it does stand out against the slate and grey fence. The flower bed next to it is full of colour. 
Making my side bed, I had a vision, and this is not it, having said that, I love this bed, it's a riot of colour, things pushing through, loads of different colours, I will trim the climbing rose later in the year, hoping I get flowers lower down, it was trained high, when the water but was here. There is a peace lily by the rose bush, I have dug it out twice, but it wants to live there, so I have given in, it adds to the mixture of plants.
Pots still have places they shine, these Salvia are my favourite and just 4 plants do well in this pot, the little lemon clematis behind is new this year, last winter killed my other plant, it is filling out well, we have had a few flowers, but there are loads more to come. It won't get much higher, it's a bush type, I just helped it to grow on the frame. 
This table and chairs now live by the fence, as always it's a perfect spot for a couple of pots, both begonia's, the one on the table has dainty flowers, whilst the one on the decking is big and blousy. Next year I will get the table and chairs dipped and powed-coated back to white.
I have had these pots for years, there is a third one elsewhere in the garden, the geraniums, have been in the pot for years, the coleus are planted new this summer, they are not hardy and don't survive even in the green house over winter.   

Finally, my success, my Hosta, it's planted in an old coal bucket, which keeps the slugs and snails from eating it, I have a second in a metal bucket, which also works as well. Other years both plants have been tucked against a wall and was feasted on by snails. This one I leave in the middle of my steps, so I do have to step over it, but it's worth the effort just to see how well it has grown, there is a flower forming. 
I've had a brilliant week, loads of rest, sewing (cross stitch) and watching tennis on the TV. I've not worried about my steps, luckily for me over the week I have averaged over 7,000 per day. I missed Pilates again this week, but plan to start back next week.

Today hubby is out, so a lazy day for me, not made any plans, it's raining again, but it should pass us by early afternoon, we are back to a true british summer. 

Tomorrow Molly is 2 years old, we will spend the day at their house, lots of giggles and fun, no party, it's too much for daughter so soon after her operation on her foot. Have a great weekend. 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails