Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 26 July 2023

Dreams

Regular readers will know I love our garden, its my place of peace and joy, recently we have changed where we sit to be further away from our horrible neighbour and the problems we get, mainly flies and smells, our pergola has been sold and we have this beautiful parasol, we have moved our bench to make a nice seating area, surrounded by sweet smelling herbs in pots and our Olive tree. The bunting and all the bits on the shelf add to the feel of this area, very vacation holiday vibes, we also get a better view of the garden from here, photos taken on a rare sunny day.
This view will change, hubby wants the hard landscaping to be done in September, I had planned for it to be done next spring and will probably keep to that schedule, I think it will be better time for moving plants. The path by the garage will stay, as will most of the grass, extra raised beds will be made, one for flowers and two for veg. Whilst I gain beds for growing, we will lose the decking  which is just a big empty space, which we no longer use.
So we are enjoying our tidy view for now, we chat together, making suggestions, ensuring when changes are made, we get the most from the garden. The decking will go, and a new fake lawn laid from our Magnolia tree down. The back area of the lawn I am taking, will be replaced by the extra space from the decking. The space infront of the garage will stay a working area for hubby, he also BBQ's there. This means our garden will be closer to the house and will give us a lovely view from inside. This is a very basic plan I made online, it gives you an idea of what is in my head.


It's really exciting to chat and throw different ideas at each other, so far there is just 2 small changes, to help the flow closer to the house. The flower bed infront of the green house will have fruits in, moving the flower and shrubs to the new bed at the end of the new lawn. Making two raised veg beds will give me the extra growing buzz I need, if they ever get too much I can plant with shrubs. We will leave the fake grass at the back and cut out under the raised beds, digging out stones and filling with top soil. The 'grass' will make clean paths, which dry quickly after any rain.

So I sit in the shade with a lovely breeze and plan, I've never done anything as big as this, having everywhere the same level will be brilliant, we need to decide on what paving we have, hubby wants to have old fashioned square ones, I'm wanting something a bit different, nothing too modern, it won't look right, so many conversations to be had.

Thank you for all your wonderful comments about our garden, it is our haven, it is small, so much easier for us to manage, I am outside every day the weather will allow, I do enjoy picking up leaves and deadheading flowers. In the last few years we have changed bits to allow less work and more enjoyment, my mum had a huge garden, which she worked in all day long, but rarely sat and rested there, it's about the balance. 

5 comments:

  1. It is so nice to make plans.
    I do like your parasol and bunting, a lovely summery feel.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can think of nothing more peaceful than sitting in a lovely garden with the man you love and discussing plans together. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you will get a great balance between work and rest with the new garden. So exciting. I look forward to seeing it take shape.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails