Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Thursday 6 April 2023

My happy place

This is probably the last image of this Amaryllis looking good, I'm not complaining, it has preformed very well, I did cut the first stem back, to keep it looking good. I will miss these huge blooms in our sitting room.
My other six amaryllis bulbs, I have taken out their pots and removed most of the soil, I will let them dry for a while and then brush all the rest of the soil from the roots. I have no idea if this is correct, they are in a wooden box on shredded paper to keep them dry. One bulb I purchased as a bare root and it flowered well, so I am hoping this might work and I get flowers again, they are all mixed up, so the blooms if they grow, I won't know the colours, I do have more white than colours. 
I am taking a risk here, I have planted 8 Nemesia plants, they are a bit small, but this area is sunny and raised off the ground, they only cost me £2.50, so if they work it's a bargain. The wire trays are to stop the cats digging in  the soil, all the tiny bulbs are also dug in here. I do have my old greenhouse plastic door, which sits ontop of this bed and makes it into a cold frame overnight.
This back section is working hard, I will need to dig out my compost soon, I am hopeful I get some lovely rich compost, it has been digesting all the kitchen and garden vegetation waste. Both dustbins are breaking down well, I don't add anything to the bins through the summer months, I am making leaf mulch to spread in the cooler months later this year. The green trays in the front have all my spare plastic pots in, smaller on the bottom level, keeps them tidy and out of my greenhouse. 
I spent an afternoon in the greenhouse, just working on one side, moving things around, placing all my tiny bedding plants, now potted up into induvial pots, placed in the huge black potting tray, I don't keep compost in this tray, it works better in keeping my bedding plants in one place and easy to water. The metal corner shelves have some plants which I purchased from Wilko's, they have started well in here. 
The garden is looking good, it does look much the same as last year, but for three days this week I have trimmed, and sorted plants, moved a few pots as the early spring blooms die back. As yet I have not moved the bird bath as yet, I need hubby to lift the heavy parts, he is still decorating, so I won't bother him.  
I have ached every evening this week, but it's a good ache, my hands are sore, I now always wear gloves when gardening, which causes the ache, being out in the sunshine has been wonderful, I feel so good, there is nothing big to do here, just loads of normal late spring jobs, to ensure our garden looks good this summer. Yesterday was dull and wet later on, today is the same, so we are off to a huge supermarket for a big shop, not done one for just over a month, getting ready for the Easter weekend. This afternoon is crafting time. 

3 comments:

  1. I so envy you being able to get out and in your garden already. That is definitely a good ache.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, an ache from gardening is a good ache :)
    Have a lovely Easter weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Currently have ice on my shoulder and a hot water bottle on my lumbar region...how I love gardening! x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails