Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday 9 April 2023

Finished

 My 1st Aran cardi is finished, I used sewing clips to hold the sides together whilst sewing up, the clips made it much easier as nothing moved, I will use them always when sewing together. I used Aztec from James Brett and was happy not to have any knots in the balls, this is 90% Acrylic and 10% Alpaca, machine washable, so I should not have any issues with itching. The yarn is purple as seen in the smaller photo.

I decided to reuse the silver buttons, I cut them from my scruffy cardi, which is now in the bin. George loves these buttons, and rubs them each time I'm wearing them. I did check to see if there were any other buttons in my local shop, but they had nothing I liked. These are metal and will outlast this garment. I am very pleased with this cardi, it feels warm, it's a bit snug, but will relax as I wear and laundry it, I enjoyed the design, and I am very pleased with the collar, it will perfectly replace my scruffy one. I will wear this one when out from our home, which is a bonus as my scruffy one was only worn inside.

I am now back working on my brown fleck one, I am not sure if I will make a collar on this one, I don't have to decide until the very end, so I have time to think. I did have a struggle matching the shoulder designs together on the purple cardi, so I unpicked the last few rows on the back of this one and reknitted without casting off and doing the same on the front as well. I knitted a stitch from the back and front together until the whole section was done, then I caste off, it looks much better and has a flexibility which will be good to wear.


The cost was only £27.00 for the purple yarn, 8 x 100 grm balls, and £3.50 for a set of knitting needles, my local shop gives me a 10% discount on certain purchases as a loyal customer, we don't have a card, the till is very modern and works it all out, very clever. Before when I purchase yarn on line I always get an extra ball and I never return it if unused, it's good to be shopping local and return full balls, she will keep a couple of balls aside if I don't want to purchase them. It did take a week to sew on the buttons and finish this, I have history of not sewing on buttons, I don't know why, it's just so fiddly. 

Whilst emptying the spare room and moving all my yarn stash, I went through all my yarns, I had so many odd full and part balls, mainly 4ply and a bit of double knitting, I popped them on our local Facebook page and they were collected the same day, I do see people trying to sell their left overs, but I was happy to pass them on for free. 

I am working on my cross stitch, the design I had sorted, was too big, so I am putting in skeletons of bits of designs to work around. I have been sketching on my calendar wheel, I want to embroider some more on it,  April is catch up month.

PS. I hate that photo, what face am I pulling.

10 comments:

  1. That purple cardigan is beautiful, Marlene, just the colour I would choose for myself. I hate having my photo taken, I always look like a startled rabbit caught in headlights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cardigan is lovely and your brown fleck one will be equally as nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you knit that up quickly! It looks lovely and will be very cosy to wear around the house in the cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cardigan Marlene. You are a very talented knitter. I am hopeless. Have a wonderful Easter Weekend with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the finished cardi, it looks great on you. The other one will be lovely too. I will have to look through my stash, don't think I have enough of any thing though to make an adult garment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the finished cardigan looks very nice.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the finished cardigan and it will make a lovely outdoor jacket for Springtime. Thanks for the tip about using the clips-as a quilter I have dozens of them but never thought about using them to hold knotting in place. Look forward to seeing the designs for your calendar wheel. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done with finishing your Aran longline cardigan Marlene. It looks great x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely sweater. I think I may have to get some of those clips. Pins are just too hard to handle.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your jumper . Cosy and warm in this windy weather we're having and I think it is set to be another chilly week ahead 💐x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails