Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Tuesday 4 April 2023

Flowers not showers.

My raised bed by the back door, again is looking good, I can never remember what spring bulbs are in here, so it's always a joy to see what blooms. For the summer I have a Fuchsia at each end, in the middle I planted a pale pink peony, which I am not expecting much from this year. Hubby made this bed back in 2019 when he renewed the decking. 
On the left is the Acer we planted into the ground a few years ago, it's slowly growing and will one day fill the space. On the right is my trio of Acers, which are in a huge pot, these are near the bottom of the garden, three different colours. So lovely to see new growth, different colours in the garden.
Spring pots are still performing, now the tulips are starting to bloom, so much colour, most bulbs grow better in pots and raised beds, our heavy clay rots most bulbs through the wet winter months. Top righ is my Chinese witch hazel, plenty of new growth and a tiny bright red flower forming. 
Olive tree and herb area are all coming back to life, we popped the mint into a big plastic pot, which was left over from a previous sort out, many of the herbs have new growth and my chives are thriving. They do well in pots through the cold wetter months. Both raspberries and blueberries are showing signs of growth, the blueberries have a few flowers on. 


These are all for the big raised bed in front of the greenhouse, I am hoping to move a few other things, and purchase some nemesia plants, which should fill the bed with colour. I do have two fuchsias along the fence side to soften the lines.  
I grew gladiolas in two big pots last year, it's worked but the blooms were too high, so I have over wintered them in the garage and soon it will be time to plant, I am thinking of popping them in the back of the red rose bed, it's a sunny spot. 

I spent a few hours outside yesterday afternoon, it was a lovely sunny day, I have sorted my raised bed, moved the big daffodils to the red rose bed, I scattered all the bulbs in photo above and pushed them into the soil, so most of the raised bed is sorted. I did transplant a daisy from the small black tub, it does look as if it has survived the winter, this raised bed should be full of colour this summer. 

I got 7 strips of bedding plants from the village, about 35 plants, I will split and pot them on and once they are a good size I can put them in the ground, but not for about 4 weeks, they are in my cold frame for now. I also got 6 strawberry plants, these are already in my strawberry tower, we should have a good harvest this summer. I only have a bag of begonia corns left to plant, but it's still a bit early for them to go into the pots.

I'm not going to the garden centre with sign group today, I will spend some more time in the garden, I'm hoping to get the wooden garden table out and all my ornaments which sit along the shelf by the fence over the side bed. I am going to move our bird bath from the garden and fill the area with plants taken from elsewhere, the bird bath will revert back to an alpine garden, which means I will need to go shopping for plants. 
 

3 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures of your garden flowers, this is such a colourful time of year.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden and its blooms are always so amazing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some lovely things going on in your garden. No wonder you want to spend time out there. Enjoy the rest of your week x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails