Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 18 June 2022

Big spender

I have been asked to make a small felt trifle, for a friends birthday, it should be simple to make, I have a photo for a guide, BUT, I did not have any felting fibres in the colours I required, so these were ordered. It has now become an expensive bit of fun, a friend is knitting and afternoon tea for a birthday gift, sadly I think the person receiving it, will throw it away once we forget about it, can't say I blame her it's not something I would want to keep.
My strawberries have been fantastic this year, I got out this old 3 tier planter, and have ensured it's watered most days, the bugs and slugs have kept away, but I do think I have a mouse who likes to pick one now and then. I decided next season I would double my height and produce more strawberries. I opted to get a new 6 level tower as I did not think I could get another the same size, the cups on the new set are a bit smaller and a different shape. The old tower is going to be used for herbs. I know I said in my last post I want to reduce my pot numbers, but this system works so well and does not take up too much space. I will get a new set of wheels for it to sit on, makes it easier to turn the tower. 
On hubby's suggestion we moved the square chimney from the far end of the raspberry bed, it left enough space to pop the blueberry pot, keeping the fruit together, the birds who visit our feeders keep away from this area, we are both pleased with this corner. My rabbits have moved into this area, I think they look good.
I planted a small hellebore in front of the tub, there is another at the other end of the raspberry bed,  it should fill out and tumble over the slate. In front of the willow tree, I have put my camomile plants, in hope they spread and full this front area. If it works this area will be full every year of flower which will return every year. 
In the new bed under the Magnolia tree, I found a sunflower plant, it's too big to grow in that garden, so I have popped it into this big tub, in hope I can get it to grow and produce a flower head. 


Our days are much the same, up about 7.30am get any jobs done whilst it's still cool, rest in the shade of our pergola for the rest of morning and until just after 2pm, then the sun is fully in our seating area, so we are then inside. Our sitting room is lovely and cool this time of year, the patio doors are open until 9pm ish, just a case of being sensible in this heat. Our bedroom is cool as well, so we are sleeping well, we are able to open the window at night, we can't have it open in day because of flies and the cats next door. 

Early Friday morning I did a quick run to Lidl, hubby is now eating and I needed to stock the fridge, we are picking cucumbers, salad leaves, herbs, strawberries and a few raspberries, but our fridge was bare. Most of the day was at home, hubby went to Will's school for a father's day event, daddy is away with work, so Grancha's allowed, it was fun but he came home very tired. 

Today it's our village gala held at Portchester Castle, about 10 minutes walk from home, if daughter decides to come with her 3 children, I will walk down with her, but if she decides it's too hot then I won't bother, hubby is not able to be out that long in this heat. There is a field used as a car park, but it's always bedlam there, so driving is not an option.
 

3 comments:

  1. Have a lovely day at the Gala.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope you got to the gala, they can be fun.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your rabbity-hare corner and the way it stands out against the dark fence looks fab . Hope your hubby and brother are feeling better very soon 🦋🐝

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails