Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 6 October 2021

Sewing, 3 finishes.

 I have made new Christmas sacks for 3 grandchildren, I had made matching stockings for both Will and George, but the were not wide enough to pop a big book in and George loves to eat the fir top. With Molly now part of the family I decided it was time to make new matching ones.

The names were made for me, each with my choice of colour, by a talented lady with her own small business, the red fabric I had in my stash, everything else came from our new look haberdashery, each has a loop at the back for hanging, and each are fully lined. I did not make them too huge, 


I ensured all the reindeer were the correct way up, I made 2 bags, an outer and an inner and stitched them together at the top. Really sturdy for the children to use each year. 
This was a first pleasing Christmas make, I can't wait to see Will's face when he gets to see these. A very simple shape, all the embellishments are on the front, I had loads of pretty ribbons, but decided they were not needed, just an afternoon's work. 

I have always loved sewing of any kind, well maybe not mending! I would love to make my own clothes, but the cost of fabric is much more expensive than purchasing the ready made item, and I am not purchasing many new clothes. I hope to start making Molly pretty fabric dresses as she gets older. 

I have done a couple small quilting projects, I have thought of making a big cover for our bed, but I would not be able to add any wadding or backing by machine. It is something I would like to do, I have loads of fabric in my stash, maybe next year, too many Christmas projects still to do. 



13 comments:

  1. Your Christmas stockings are wonderful and the children will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely and their Mum will be sure to bring them out each Christmas, they'll be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sacks are beautiful, the kids will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so miss all this stuff, all my Grandchildren are grown now and it would seem none of them are in a hurry to produce Great Grandchildren for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once Molly is bigger we will have a long wait until great grandchildren, so we are making the most of our younger grand children.

      Delete
  5. What gorgeous stockings. The perfect size to pop a book in.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Christmas Stockings ! I,m just now thinking of what to give my Grandchildren for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sacks are nice, I made some when my sons were born which we get out every year (27 years and they haven't fallen apart yet!) Hope they enjoy opening them on Christmas day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter the children's mum still has her childhood stocking I made, I even made daddy one as well a few years ago.

      Delete
  8. The Christmas sacks are fab and I'm sure they will be treasured for many years to come. Cheryl did a great job with the names, that was a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to echo what other bloggers have commented here ... those Christmas sacks are gorgeous and so neatly done. the children will be delighted when they see them, without a doubt.I am sure they will last for many Christmasses. I had to laugh at the comment "I did not make them too huge". I kept up the tradition of filling a Christmas stocking for my daughter each year until one year when we crept in to lay out the Christmas stocking on her bed we saw she had draped a empty pillow case at the bottom of her bed! Cheeky monkey! Needless to say the Christmas stocking we had prepared for her went inside the pillow case. LOL! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the Christmas Sacks are fabulous, they really do look great.

    I haven't yet made a start on my Christmas present or card buying. I keep thinking I may start mid-October, we shall see!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these sacks they are gorgeous. I'm sure your grandchildren will love them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails