Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 2 July 2021

Slow days

I loved this book, the story line was so clever and good, The plot was around 4 people their work lives, but the sub plot was their personal lives, It was always going to have a tidy ending as I have read this author before, and I guessed it early on, but it did not spoil the story, it's a huge read, 495 pages, this is my 28th book read this year. I gave up on the other book.
This is the book I am now reading, I got it at Tesco for £4, I don't like to purchase too many new books, but I do love this private investigator, with 1073 pages to read. I am loving this storyline as it builds, it helps the prime characters have been in previous books and dramatized on TV.  
I managed to clean out my bird bath, it was horrible here, I have now popped some pre 1982 copper 2 pence coins in the water, only time will tell if it works, sadly the biggest problem is it is in a sunny spot. I still need more larger pebbles, the pebbles were staring to go green, so I have popped one of my copper rings into the bottom.
 This raised bed area is looking much better, the path is staying clear, the big grass is in a pot and fills the corner, my daisies, cornflowers and poppies are growing, not to many but the hope is they grow self seed and fill this area, together I love them. I keep my passion flower cut right back it can be a thug, but I don't want it going behind the greenhouse where it can grow wild, I love the flowers, I have a small winter jasmine growing beside it, I have a rose cutting growing which I might pop here, I would like hubby to put up a trellis in front of the fence. This bed is bigger that shown here, it does run alongside my composter. 
I have been spending time with daughter her due date is early next week, ensuring I am happy with routines and getting Will to pre-school, which now has so many rules (which are needed), it's a lovely happy family so a joy to be part of, 🤞🤞🤞we get to meet our newest grandchild soon. 


Nothing to do in the garden other than dead head and look after a few cuttings, this time of year, it's a case of sit and enjoy it, it's full of colourful flowers, I think I have finally found the right balance. We are picking strawberries, raspberries, the blackcurrants are almost ready, the blueberries and blackberries are swelling and forming. I have cucumbers and tomatoes, plus some salad items growing in greenhouse, so I am getting the satisfaction of home grown fruit and veg, only small amounts, but enough to feel good. 

I just hope the weather will be kinder, this really heavy rain does flatten plants, it's not cold just so many wet days, on the plus side my water butts are now full again, and I only have to water the greenhouse and a few pots. 

The house is staying tidy so I have plenty of reading time, hubby is away for the weekend, so Saturday I will pop to daughters and stay the night, being so close to the boys is delightful, I am hoping I can get to see more of our grandsons this summer. 

4 comments:

  1. Next door have a passion flower, it's lovely but as you say, a thug. It constantly comes over and through the fence and invades my small corner bed, I'm having to hack it off every few weeks, blimming nuisance. Hope the new grandchild arrives soon and all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just finished the Robert Galbraith book - a really good read and I think the biggest book I've read in ages. Mine was hardback from the library so heavy to hold, especially when reading in bed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these books but I enjoyed the Strike series on TV. Perhaps popping a couple of oxygenating plants in your bird bath would help, I doubt the birds would mind, they often take baths in my little pond which is filled with plants. We've hardly had any rain at all, beautiful sunny days and so warm too, though I think rain is in the forecast for the next few days, we'll see. Wishing everything well with the birth of your new grandchild, everyone must be really excited now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lovely garden. I never knew that about about pennies.

    I am watching Gardeners world right now and really enjoying how all of you in the UK can grow things in pots even trees.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails