Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 18 July 2022

Taking in the views.

We recently popped to Portsmouth, Gunwharf Quay, it was not busy at all so we decided to go up the Spinnaker Tower, the views are stunning, here I'm standing on the glass floor, looking down, still not totally comfortable standing here, but most visits I look down, just keeping my fear of heights in hand. 

Not the best photo, the glass is slightly tinted, looking down on The Prince of Wales aircraft carrier, and the old navy base, with The Warrior in the front, old and new. It was a bit cloudy, but we could see for miles, I do love this view, it's a busy waterway, vessels going into naval base, cross channel ferries, Isle of Wight ferry, countless private boats, so there are always plenty to watch. 

We also had a day at Portchester Castle, and went to the top of the Keep, again the views are brilliant, a perfect place to view Portsmouth and Gosport harbours, St Mary's church in the castle grounds and of course our village of Portchester. 




It's so lucky to be so close to these high viewing places, we don't go up often, every time we are blown away with these views, it is possible to see for miles, Isle of Wight, Southampton as well as the naval base at Portsmouth. Our shore line is not always beautiful, when the tide is out is can look a bit messy, very natural, this keeps most tourist away, other than around the castle, so it's mainly locals, which we love. There is huge grassed areas and plenty of tree's and hedges, making a very natural and pleasant place to walk.

We have had a fantastic weekend, Saturday we were at daughters for Mollys 1st birthday garden party, family and a few friends, loads of shade, lots of laughter, children in the pool. Sunday we had a lunchtime BBQ  at ours, again plenty of shade, daughter, SIL, Will, George and Molly, plus grandpa and grandma, again loads of fun, we got our small pool out, I used the water afterwards for the garden, both evenings we rested, so much fun. We are at home for the next couple of days, our house is cool, we have everything we need, so along with our cats we will hide inside. 

3 comments:

  1. You're braver than me, I wouldn't have been able to stand on that glass! Looks like a lovely area, I love being by the sea, unfortunately we live in the middle of the UK so the coast is a couple of hours away whichever direction you go in. I'm staying indoors today too, it's wayyyy too hot to go anywhere or do anything

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad came from Portsmouth, around the naval dockyard so I remember several holidays there. I haven't been for a long time now but I think I could just about manage the Spinnaker if I didn't look down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous views, but my fear of heights would not have me standing on that glass floor. I would be on my hands and knees crying.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails