Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 20 July 2022

In a heatwave

Will and George had the right idea, paddling pool in the shade, at our house on Sunday, they both loved the pool, the water was used on the garden afterwards. They ran about and cooled down all the time they were with us, mummy dressed George, but he got back into the pool, both are good having sun cream applied and re-applied. 
Another new author to me, set in America, I was not sure at the start of the book, a different take on a mystery, she is not in the police, or a private investigator, but she looks and finds missing people, this was more about interaction with people, when the police are not totally trusted. I did enjoy reading this book, 58th book read this year.
I have been hand sewing, making up flowers, which I can stitch together to make a cover for my sewing machine, it's a simple task, which I am enjoying, happily using some of the hexagons I have in my stash. I have simplified the sewing, choosing 7 designs, and with one piece of thread, stitching them together. 
The gladiola plants are flowering, I have them in 2 huge pots by my bench, the packs were mixed colours, so I'm surprised these are all the same colour, I'm not unhappy as they are pretty.  Every part of the garden has some shade through out the day, so the plants are not looking to bad, I have not moved pots, I don't feel the need to.
We are keeping an eye on both cats, there are loads of cool places in the garden, Purdy decided to sleep on this chair, it's a lovely cool spot, Grace is in her basket most of the time. We have bowls of water everywhere for them, the bird bath is full, I am topping it up most days. 
Monday was hot, the temperature did not drop below 20 all day, we got up to 32, but our clock is in a shady part of the garden, only getting sun from teatime onwards. 20 is our good summer daytime temperatures, so for us here in UK, it's really hot, we do not have air con, our homes are build to hold in heat. We do have a good humidifier in our bedroom which we can add an ice block, but it was still very warm. Tuesday it got up to 34 a new high for us, I did not meet with the sign ladies, the thought of a car journey put me off, the lady I car share does not like the aircon, so it would have been like an oven.

It turned dull about 4pm on Tuesday, we had a few rumbles of thunder and a tiny sprinkle of rain, not enough to wet the ground, it became really blowy and we had another small amount of rain, again not enough to help, I watered the garden after 8pm, it was still hot, 28, but the sun was not so bright. I really hope today will be cooler, it should be about 23, much better but still hot, we also have a yellow warning for thunder, a storm would be nice, it's dull and cloudy at the moment. Nothing planned, maybe a walk to village and library, I need more books. 

6 comments:

  1. It's certainly been hot, it reaches 30 inside our house yesterday and was around 38/39 outside. The poor cats didn't know what to do and hardly ate anything

    ReplyDelete
  2. The boys look happy in the paddling pool. Purdy looks cute curled up on the chair, Tilly tucked herself underneath our garden chair while I was hanging out the washing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to be young and splashing around in a paddling pool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That makes me want a paddling pool for those hot days!!! The glads are a lovely colour, ours haven't started blooming yet and I can hardly wait until they do.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monday was our worst day for heat...after leaving my car doors open for a while after work it started off at 38, slowly dropping to 34...then during the afternoon it crept up...and up, until after tea when suddenly the breeze returned and we could breathe again. Unfortunately at dusk the wind died down so an uncomfortable night followed...me with a damp flannel on my head! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to see the children in the paddling pool, our youngest Grandson enjoyed being in his too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails