Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 25 July 2022

July Garden

The Magnolia tree has blooms again, so I am back picking up petals, once dropped they turn brown very quickly, better in the composter than on the lawn. The grass is fake so it's looking lovely and green, it's much easier than real grass, and we don't suffer the surface temperatures you see all over face book, this was laid with the correct base, it's been down 5 years. 
The old herb bed,
 still a bit bare but things will get bigger next year. Sadly the fence is still broken, her jungle next door keeps us private.  I have a fine net infront to stop the cats coming through.
Back bed and raised bed,
this area has been stunning this year, I have some low shrubs to fill out along the back black fence, it's just so colourful. The blueberry plant is doing good in it's new position. 
The side bed,
things have got very tall here this year, and I like it, the roses have done so very well. 
The herb garden,
herbs in pots are working much better for us, we are using more, I love to bring George to this section, he smells everything, and hopefully does not pick my flowers. 
Less is defiantly better in this back section, removing one big tub gives the feeling of space, and I can allow the hedge to get a bit thicker. The trio of acers has settled in their huge pot, it's all so tidy now. 
Looking back to the house. 

The garden did well in the heatwave of last week, I used the water from the paddling pool for a good water all round, and I watered just the pots twice, I don't have much rainwater left in my butts, so I am being careful with it, some plants only like rainwater, I use it for my houseplants as well. We did have some rain on Friday, but sadly not enough, at this time of year having so many pots can be an issue. It tried to rain Sunday evening, but again just a quick splash. 

The composter is working well, the green stuff I pop in the top is breaking down quickly and there is always room for more, the hotbin was expensive, but it does work well, it also looks neat and I don't have any flies around it. I will have to check to see if I can dig out a bag of compost soon, I would rather not purchase one, under ideal conditions (summer) it should make compost in just 3 months. The dustbin with the shredded stuff from the trees, is also doing well, both can be seen from the house, but neither looks an eyesore. 

I'm back to dead heading each day, and watering the greenhouse, it has been far to hot in there, but other than a cucumber plant, every thing else is OK, I have a small steady harvest of tomatoes, and should soon be getting more smaller cucumbers from my second plant.

It's trying to rain, we have dark clouds and it's windy, 🤞🤞we get a storm. 

4 comments:

  1. Your garden is always so lovely and I would never have known that the grass was not real.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks lovely and has done well during the extreme heat of last week. Our grass is just recovering and your fake grass looks really lush, I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden does look lovely Marlene and all your pots look very healthy. It must be all that homegrown compost that does the trick. Our grass seems to have stayed reasonably green but that may be because it has been left to grow a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is gorgeous, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails