Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 13 April 2022

Little girls bedroom.

I finally got the sewing done, I do love using my sewing machine, in this case I was cutting up the 2 quilt covers and the quilt, we recently purchased to make things for Molly's room, here a floor mat and 2 cushions. I have made a play mat and cushions for each of the children's bedroom, both the boys still use theirs, so these need to be well made. 
This was a new design for me, I've never made a round cushion like this, no pattern, just an idea. I started by cutting 4 rounds of firm wadding for the cushion, this time I have not made an inner cover. I used one of the long sides from the quilt cover, I measured the circumference of the round inner, cut the long bit sewing the ends together making a tube. I then fitted it over the padding and started to stitch the inner raw edge, it went well, but then I decided to make a hem to allow a stronger ribbon to be threaded through to hold middle together, this worked well. I now need to decide how to cover the centre, I have a few choices, but will check with daughter.   
I cut the king size quilt down to cot size, and did the same with both covers, it's a simple task once you have the sizes, I resized the quilt first, once finished I lay it on top of the covers and cut around, having just enough extra for the sewing line. I ensured I cut from the middle incorporating the button band at the bottom.  The rest of the quilt and covers were used in the making of other items. 
I have seen this tip on the Internet, when sewing bulky things pop the bendy bit of a straw over your foot to help feed in this case, the floor mat. Well for me it works, much easier sewing, I don't have a quilting foot, I don't do much quilting so it's not worth me spending money on a foot, but this bit of plastic is now in my sewing machine kit. (I don't purchase straws anymore, this one was free with a drink purchased on our last long journey, I keep everything.)

We had Molly most of Monday, daughter spoke to doctors, she took George in, he has tonsillitis and they suggested daughter take him to A&E for a full check up. Our local QA hospital is brilliant, they ran loads of test ensuring everything was checked, but it meant daughter and George was there most of the day. With George having Downs Syndrome, his chest is vulnerable, so they are extra vigilant, Molly and I got to play all day. George is feeling much better today, but mummy is staying at home to give him time to gain his strength. 

Tuesday was wet, so another day inside, we did pop to Lidl for shopping for the Easter weekend, they had loads of gaps on their shelves, we got most of what we required. Then it was another sewing day, finishing the round cushion, and making my cushion covers for our bedroom, photo's when they are all finished.

I have binged watched the final series of The Split, I normally watch weekly and enjoy the story, but after the 1st episode of this 3rd series, which ended in a huge way, I have wanted to know how their lives pan out. No giving away the plot, it's a fantastic, well made story, I loved the actors, everything about this was just so good. Shame there will be no more. 

9 comments:

  1. You've been very busy with your sewing, it all looks lovely. Oh, poor George, Tonsillitis is horrible, I hope he's better soon. I've only watched the first episode of The Split so far. I think Nicola Walker is a great actress, I've enjoyed just about everything I've seen her in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope George feels better soon.
    Your sewing looks very nice, you certainly keep busy.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cushions look lovely. I'm glad George is feeling better, poor little boy having tonsillitis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea the straw is, I 'll do that.. and love the idea of using a quilt cover for a cot cover and cushions, I could kick myself as we gave loads of quilt covers away before we moved to thin out our stash of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to reuse everything, as a child my mum never wasted fabrics, and I'm wired the same way.

      Delete
  5. I do hope George will feel better very soon, the poor little chap.Tonsillitis is horrible.
    I binge watched The Split too, I simply couldn't wait and watch one episode a week. It was riveting, and very well written and acted too.
    A very happy Easter, Marlene, to you and your lovely family 🐣

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're currently watching the split and I agree that the first episode was pretty shocking. It's really well made and I love the actors in this drama.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great tip. I need to try this the next time I am sewing something bulky.

    So sorry George is not feeling well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The new bedding and cushion are fabulous. So good to be able to reuse items to make better use of them.
    Hope George is better soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails