Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 16 April 2022

Blooming fun

We went to The Range on Thursday, we drove to the huge store at the outskirts of Portsmouth, spent ages there, and purchased mainly from the garden department, hubby got 2 new tubs and more conifers, these are for his front garden, the 2 lovely clay pots once again have kept too dry for plants to live. 
 
I got loads of French Marigolds for the 2 long tubs in front of our raspberries, these are hubby favourite flowers, so I try and grow some every year. Not too close to where we sit, I don't like their scent. The Lupin is in a big pot, trying to avoid it being ate by slugs. 
Hubby was going to purchase me a huge bunch of flowers for Easter colour, but I chose these Gerbera's instead, I love the bright yellow, and once these flower die back, I can pop it into the garden. They cost a fraction of the price of cut flowers. 
Book 34 read this year, I'm sorry I can't remember who recomended this book to me, but thank you, I was just brilliant, all 503 pages, I am now ensuring all my water jugs are full each evening before going to bed. The story started with the whole area being ill and dying from the drinking water. I have no idea how he comes up with all these ideas, his story lines are brilliant. 
Friday was a perfect day, we were outside all day, working in the garden, we had a lovely BBQ late lunch, first of the year, it was warm and sunny all day, the garden is looking really good, it's fun to sit with nothing to do, loads of time chatting and listening to music. 

My brother arrived on Wednesday for a few days, as always its lovely to see him, he does love to visit us. I spent the morning doing housework, everywhere is clean and tidy. Thursday I started clearing the greenhouse, I needed to clear one side so the glass could be sorted, we went to The Range and got the plants above, my plants have been added to my stash spend, hubby does not record his spend. 

Friday hubby and brother took out the other glass panes from the greenhouse, the base had moved less than an inch, but enough to twist the frame. It's now been moved back and repinned, everything is perfect, I went online for the cost of a new pane of glass, but hubby will try a local glazing shop, it should be really simple to slot in. I brushed down everything and put it all back inside the greenhouse, we found 2 places where rats had dug their way in, hubby filled the holes and put wire down to stop them. I sorted the huge pots for the tomato and cucumber plants, I still have some plug plants to pot on. 

Today is another day we are staying local, I need to pop to local shop for a couple of grow bags for tomato and cucumber plants, I already have flowers on one tomato plant, I hope to pot on my plug plants, I have plenty of room in the greenhouse. 

Poor hubby has been on the toddler diet this week, you start by cuddling George with his bugs, you catch said bugs, 5 days later, he's feeling better, the silver lining, he's lost 5 pounds. Neither of us would never not cuddle any of our grandchildren, when they have bugs they need the cuddles more, so far I have managed to stay bug free. 

 

13 comments:

  1. Oh yes, children are very happy to share their bugs, haha. Your gerbera plant is a gorgeous colour, I'm a big fan of yellow. What lovely weather we had for Good Friday, I'm glad you were able to get in the garden and enjoy it. Let's hope for more of the same over the rest of the bank holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the toddler diet of bugs, I remember it well. The weather is gorgeous, glad you were able to be out enjoying your garden and barbecue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you found '23' and yes it was me who recommended it. I found he writes about 'gentle' murders and not the gory stuff at all. He leaves that for other authors, lol.

    Our Grand-daughters aren't selfish either as they too like to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I have never read of book of his which was not impressive, still have a few titles left to read.

      Delete
    2. There are quite a few between No Time for Goodby and The Twenty-three. I was surprised when you wrote that 23 was all in one book as I vaguely recall each incident being in seperate books, but I could be wrong. You have a lot of enjoyable reading ahead.

      Delete
  4. Love Gerbera, they look wonderful but I've never been successful. It really has been lovely to have great weather and to be able to enjoy our gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your gerbera plant is lovely, they are such cheerful flowers!

    Jillxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Gerbera is a wonderful colour.

    Enjoy your Easter weekend, the weather forecast is a good one :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. The weather has been great here too, we plan on a day getting some jobs done in the garden on Monday as we have an Easter egg hunt planned for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Gerbera daisy plants. I usually buy them for the front as they love the sun.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful that you are able to enjoy your garden so much this early in the season (and I love your gerbera).
    I agree with you cuddling toddlers with bugs. They feel so miserable and really need us at that time.
    But I can think of easier ways to loose weight!
    Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy planting and enjoy the sunshine in the garden.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails