Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 24 January 2024

Stormy weather.

I have been working on my 2022 book, importing photo's from this blog, I did notice I purchase loads of bulbs, which got me thinking, and after a quick look, I made this photo, just from the last two years, it is a lot of bulbs, but they are spread all over the garden. So many dissappear in our heavy clay, I'm thinking it's time to stop replacing them.
I have purchased a small pack of seed potatoes, I'm not letting the poor crop of Christmas potatoes put me off, most of these will be grown in proper veg bags rather than in the ground, I have 2 bags and loads of soil and compost. It's years ago I have chitted potatoes, I goggled it just to ensure I remembered how to get them growing. 
Inside I am having a poor year with Amaryllis, my brother purchased me a bulb with 2 buds growing before Christmas, these buds have not grown, and are now turning yellow, my hyacinths are mixed, the ones in soil have bloomed, the two in water are very slow, and I'm not sure they will do much. I do have another Amaryllis with a tip growing,  so I have a chance of one bloom this year.
Will got me my spaceman many years ago, the succulent inside has died, it grew into a strange plant which suited this pot, I'm on the hunt for a replacement, I don't want the same again, just something different. I love the man shaped egg cup with my brain plant in, it looks good.

Anther good book finished, it was a slow start, but well worth reading, set in Australia, a small coastal town, and an English man visits, this author always provides a good plot, book 5 read this year.


I went to collect my new glasses and rejected them as unsuitable for me, the guy ignored my comments on my last visit, and whilst he made them far better for reading, the main viewing area is now so tiny, I don't think they were very happy to remake them for a second time, I did chose new frames, which I wanted to do last time. To be honest I am not liking bifocal lens, but I don't want to have to carry two pairs of glasses with me, so I will keep going with them. 

Storm Isha did no damage here, daughter lost a few of her old fence panels, I managed to sleep and miss most of the storm, I think we missed the worse of it, I walked around the garden on Monday morning and all was good. Both Grace and Purdy were tucked up warm in their baskets. Storm Jocelyn has come with rain, just relentless rain, the winds are much lower, it's just so grey these days, it's much warmer, which is helping, I'm not complaining at all, just recording the weather here along the south coast. The eye of the storm again over Scotland, so they and northern England are having the brunt of the weather, so much water around, flooding and homes without power, make me realise how good life is here. 

Thank you for the comments on my last post, I did love reading about your cats. 

8 comments:

  1. I love your indoor pots with the assorted plants in them. We've got loads and loads of Spring bulbs coming up in our new to us garden, which really pleases me, I can't wait to see them in flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame when indoor plants don't do what they're supposed to, especially when they're gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cute plant pot collection. I've got one amaryllis which has two buds, one of which is currently flowering. I can never get them to flower for a second season though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the opposite soil here, mostly very sandy. I am hoping the tulip bulbs that Harvey planted come up once again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered if you had considered varifocal lens. They don't have the 2 defined areas of focus that bifocals have but a graded range from long distance, through mid range to close up. I know they are more expensive but as a crafter I find that they offer a wider range of focal lenghts and make the extra money well worth it. I also work in a classroom and need to quickly change from closeup work when supporting a pupil to long distance when reading of the white board and wouldn't therefore be able to have two separate pairs and keep swapping. Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only require 2 different lens, my optician recomended bifocals, it is an consideration to get a pair of varifocals, if I can't get on with these.

      Delete
  6. Just reading about your glasses ... have you thought about trying varifocal lenses? I have been wearing them for quite a few years now and find them excellent.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a few seed potatoes to get chitting as well.
    Shame about your glasses. I have varifocals and they are great for my needs. I guess it is down to personal preference and circumstances . I hope you find something that works best for you x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails