Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 9 January 2023

Inside

This cactus in the kitchen is a very slow flowering plant, we have had at least one bloom on it for weeks, and loads of buds, it's nice to have a later flowering plant. Beautiful colour in the gloomy January days. I love the pineapple pot it's in, all golden and shiny. 
In the bathroom, plants are growing well, we have a second flower stalk on the spider plant, which is pleasing, it's always green in here, other than November when the cactus flowers.
On my electric log burner in the sitting room, these plants do well, the Poinsettia is fake, I can't keep a real one, it will stay out for now adding colour here. My space man get weirder as the plant grows. 
I got this Amaryllis bulb half price in early December, I planted it and it did not show any growth for ages, in the last week it has shot up, another pure white bulb. My original bulb had a second tip growing, it is another bud, so more blooms. I have another bulb, but I will wait a while before planting it, I see no point in having more than one flowers at the same time. 
I have finished reading Adam Frost newest book, 'How I garden', and I loved it, he is now my preferred TV gardener, I loved Monty Don, for years, but I am now finding Gardeners World to be repetitive on so many subjects. Adam's book is just like he is chatting to you, very down to earth and not preaching in any form, so much good information regarding organic and little digging gardening. He has such a good start as a gardener, firstly with Devon parks department, and then working with Geoff Hamilton, who was way ahead with organic gardening. Book 1 read this year.

As always my office is full of plants, I showed a photo of my desk in a recent post, I have so much joy is seeing things growing. I have been out into my greenhouse, but I am not doing much, the very cold spell has damaged some of my tender plants, I don't do anything in the greenhouse to protect from cold, our winters are normally very mild, I do have a heater, which I have never used, I am leaving everything, once warmer weather starts, in the correct time of year, I will see what can be salvaged. Our temperatures are much higher as our climate changes, it was the same last year, our winters are much wetter, we have more storms at this time of year, luckily we do not live in a flood area. 

We had Will, George and Molly here on Saturday, for a couple of hours, they played well, we ate our picnic lunch sat on the floor, and then watched some TV, for rest time, once they went home hubby and I relaxed for a few hours, how peaceful the house was. Most of the time they were reading books, all 3 love books. It rained most of the day, so no walks, but with 3 children our steps were high anyway.

Sunday was dull, dark and cold, and rained most of the day, so another inside day. I started sorting my stash of fabrics stored in 2 boxes in the attic, most of what I had was over 10 years old, I am passing loads on to a young lady doing a college course in needlework and textiles, hoping she can use most of it, if not pass it on to others on the course. One thing lead to another and all my fabrics have been sorted and what I'm keeping has been folded and stored, I just need to get a box for my fat quarters. 

Regarding Harry's book Spare, we are not interested, most families have issues, but there is no need to air everything in public, it's so sad. Social media is full of him, rightly or wrongly, I don't read any of it, he is an entitled young man from an entitled family.

6 comments:

  1. One of my Christmas cactuses flowered before Christmas but I noticed a new bud on it yesterday. I wonder if I'm going to get a second flowering. I got an amaryllis for Christmas again as I usually do so that's just been set off, it's a dark one again which I had a couple of years ago and loved. Oh, I agree about Harry, not interested in the slightest. I felt rather sorry for him when he said he wanted his privacy, after all, they're born into it and if they don't want it, fine, but all he's done since is court the media. How's that wanting privacy. I've no sympathy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second attempt at leaving a comment.
    I watched Harry's hour and a half long interview last night but found myself zoning out. All he did was complain about the Press. I feel sorry for what he has had to endure in his life but he really needs to shut up now. He;'s made his bed so he has to lie on it. I won't be buying the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Adam Frost too and was a fan of Geoff Hamilton. Sometimes the way Adam phrases something and even his delivery, sounds very much like Geoff. I find that oddly comforting and it always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a very nice time with Will, George and Molly on Saturday.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. My small Christmas cactus was full of flowers but my big one only had a few, no idea why, it was most disappointing.
    I have no interest in reading Harry's book either, I think we've heard enough from the pair of them now, they just keep playing the same record

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will look out for Adam's book. I do like his down to earth garden style, so much like Geoff Hamilton.
    Your spaceman is quite a character now with his spiky head.
    It seems to be the time of year for sorting out a few things and I'm glad you were able to find a new home for some of your fabrics that will benefit someone else.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails