Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 4 July 2020

Been shopping

We finally got the large size slate for our garden, since we replaced the fence we have been looking online, most places were sold out, we got these bags from B&Q, with a few other small things. The cost of each of these bags has increased and there is not longer 3 for £10, we paid £21 for 3 bags, we had little choice as we needed to match our existing slate. 
We then went to a local garden centre, here I did have a list, and only two of the plants below was on the list, they had very little of the things I wanted. The rhubarb will be put into the big tub by my raised garden outside of the greenhouse, I did have a plant, but I think I planted it too deep and it rotted. 
Seeds from both places, I am planning for my winter pots here and a few spring plants.
I managed to get an up-lighter for the big pot I keep my Olive tree in, I want the tree to light up each evening, not totally what I had in mind, but this should do the task. It's just the case of getting the right angle for the light to get the effect I want. 
At the garden centre I got some silk flowers, I still had my tulips in this vase by the patio door, I wanted a summer arrangement with more greenery in, but there was not a good choice for green leafy stems, and some were huge and really expensive, so for now these look OK. These cost me £22.52, but over the summer months I won't be purchasing cut flowers so in the long term I will save money. The tulips are packed away for next spring. I wanted it to look like a mixture of flowers from the garden. 

I ordered this weeks ago, from Glassworks, I have already a poppy, and a robin, it has already been placed with the poppy in a small window, the sunlight coming through is very pretty. 

My first shopping trip out, I disliked B&Q, they had a one way system, but people were shopping as normal and wondering around, simply because you can never find what you are looking for. The garden centre was better, they too had a one way system along the main route through, the spaces between the isles were smaller and people were having to ensure they kept their distance. It does amaze me how people will push past you, if I find someone in my way, I change my route to avoid them, I had issues in both places with people getting to close. Later I popped to Lidl, so we got everything done in one day.

We did not have to wait outside for long anywhere, it was not the enjoyable slow wander around having a look, we went to the sections we wanted and then paid and home. It was not as bad as I feared, the only down side was I could not get everything I wanted, but I can live without the other bits. 

I have no plans to visit other shops, our lifestyle is one of using what we have, not wasting anything, we have enough clothes to last this year and next. 

Its still the 1st week of July and I've spent loads on the garden, but it is looking good. Just as well I have no plans to purchase any craft items or clothes. 




9 comments:

  1. Your silk flowers are beautiful. Shopping is such hard work now. I'm glad I bought 3 bags of slate for £10 some months ago. I have only used 2 but the other one will fill in some gaps when I am ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had mixed experiences in B&Q. It's actually quite nice to get back to the shop and be able to buy things from there, as such random things come in. I hadn't been there for three weeks before lockdown, so a lot of the stock is completely new to me. I've already put aside a few things to buy when we are actually open. Saves me going anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got your shopping all done okay. My rhubarb plant has also died, so now I am wondering if perhaps I planted it too deeply - I hadn't thought of that as a cause of death. It just rotted away from the base.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you get immense pleasure from your garden then its money well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new neighbour of ours has just had to pay for a skip to take a huge amount of slate away put down by the previous residents. It did look a bit like a graveyard in the front garden as it was a big expanse with no pots or flowers to soften it, which is why they have taken it up to put a lawn down and flower beds. I thought it a shame that no-one wanted it and it has had to be dumped and a shame that you had to pay so much more for yours. Your garden looking lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been there taking loads of the slate, I do like to look out for things people no longer want and reuse them.

      Delete
  6. How beautiful the garden looks! My garden still looks sad. Much work yet to be done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is our 11th year here, it does take time to evolve and now I'm not working I have the time to tend to it. Plus it's not a cheap hobby, I spend more on the garden than anywhere else.

      Delete
  7. I do like your silk flowers, lovely colours.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails