Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 26 June 2023

Summer colour

Roses are blooming, the dark red one is in it's second year, still quite small, but enough buds for a beautiful show. The yellow flowers have been here over 10 years, the pink flower was planted a couple of years ago as a gift, we did struggle to place it in the garden. 
Pots are looking good, these are just some of my favourite ones, all summer heat loving plants, it's a perfect year for them.  

The Acers are just brilliant. 
My Hosta looking good, 
so far not snail food, sat in an old bronze coal bucket.
Some flowers are better, this tiny cucumber plant is doing well. 
The Olive tree is full of bloom, when sat at the table the blossom floats down in the breeze, feels like your sat in a summer wedding. 
The side bed is filling out well, this year along the front I have Bizzy Lizzies, I purchased 4 plants and grew them on, I also took cuttings, so loads of plants at different sizes. The climbing rose is tucked by the garage, I have popped in a honeysuckle rooted cutting, in hope they mingle. 
This Agapanthus has 18 flower heads, I can't wait for them to open, from this plant I have separated roots and have two other plants around the garden, both have flower spikes. I will separate it again after flowering, I have a spot for it in our old herb bed.
The back bed, this is the last year it will look like this, next year it will become a fruit bed, everything which survives the winter will be transplanted into the new bed. The raised bed is full of colour, again we are pleased with it. 
The old herb bed, looking good, I have loads of smaller new plants which will come back every year, to help fill this bed, but for this year, it's all bedding plants. 

I did watch Gardeners World last Thursday,  it was at Adam Frost's home, very nice to see something different, I loved the water garden. I am back home for the weekend, and return to daughters on Tuesday when SIL goes away working, for the past week I have been sleeping at home but now I will move in with daughter for as long as she needs me, I am mainly doing the school run and bedtimes, daughter is doing the cooking and other things. 

As hubby and I sat on Saturday morning drinking our coffee in the shade, we both agreed the garden was full of colour, it's what most gardeners want, we both like our gardens neat, hubby loves straight lines, hence all the edging around the gardens. All I had to do was dead head around the plot and plant three small plants I purchased in the village, which was useful and it was so bloody hot. We popped to our neighbours at the bottom of our garden for a BBQ, the house is shared by three men, they are brilliant neighbours, they were very helpful through lockdown. 

We are fighting flies again, they are again this year huge bluebottle type, our patio doors are never opened, we leave our kitchen door open with a full length net. I have made a net curtain for our top opener in our bedroom window, it is working, we are getting less flies inside. Where we now sit, there are more flies, but less than on the other side of the garden.

We have purchased another water but, this one is 200ltrs, so will give me extra storage. Hubby is going to have another go at mending the leaking one, he thinking he should be able to fix it, with a different solution and he has a spot at the front of the house, useful for watering in the front garden. 

4 comments:

  1. It all looks lovely. Here in southern Australia all our windows and even the very large sliding doors have fly mesh screens, the mosquitos are a nuisance in summer also as we live near the coast and wetlands

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is beautiful and bursting with colour ,you have worked so hard ,you should be really proud of the work you,ve done . Take time to sit down and enjoy it all . Flies ! ugh !....we are fighting sciarid flies here ...annoying little buggers that come out of the compost ...never had them this bad before !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks lovely, so nice and colourful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is just so lovely. I do wish I could grow roses, but have no luck.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails