Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 12 June 2023

Edible

Not a pretty structure, I used what I had to hand and it should stop the birds from feasting on these strawberries. It's going to be a bumper year for me, the frame is too long, it's only going to be in place for a few weeks. We will be eating our own strawberries this week. 
Raspberries growing in the ground are coming along nicely, these are mainly late summer, I hope next year to extend this bed and add some earlier cropping ones. The blueberries are in a huge tub, there are loads of green berries, I do have two plants in the tub, one ripens a bit earlier than the other, giving a longer harvest season.
I have these tubs in my raised bed, earlier in the year I used it as a cold frame, now I am growing salad items in these little tubs, so far it is working. 
This cucumber plant grows the tiny ones, which hubby and I like, it's placed just outside the greenhouse in a sun trap, and is steadily growing, I have only one plant this year. Already I can see 3 growing and more flowers coming. 
Tomatoes are in a huge pot in the greenhouse, I have two types in this pot, the lower bush one will grow small yellow tomatoes, the taller one is bigger red tomatoes. I do have two other much smaller plants, I need to find space for them in the ground. 

I spend time watering these plants every night, and enjoying the slow moment, everything except the blueberries are having tap water, I am saving the rainwater just for my sphagnum moss and these blueberries, I am loving these hot sunny days, but the gardener in me is hoping for rain. Earlier in the week we were promised 2 days of rain over the weekend, Saturday was another hot sunny day, the evening did cool down nicely, Sunday we woke up to a cloudy sky, still very warm, but sadly dry most if the day, we did get light rain for about an hour at tea time, followed by bright sunshine, still desperate for rain here.

Our harvest is never huge, but I do love to grow things, I should have a bit more space next year, I am going to get a rhubarb plant to grow on, we both love it, and I will have space for it next spring.

Hubby and I have moved more things around, making our existing garden work as it will be after the refit. We have time to swap things and try out positions, we have this week made one small tweet to our plans, it's better to get things right over this summer.

Today is dull, with almost no chance of rain.

3 comments:

  1. It's lovely to enjoy home grown fruit/vegetables.
    We were fortunate to get some much needed rain yesterday ...
    Looking at news bulletins the rain was very hit and miss over the UK.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great way of keeping the birds out of your strawberry crop.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to get a bit of rain every now and then too. We did get a little earlier this week, but hardly anything really and everywhere is still bone dry.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails