Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 10 June 2023

Chester

 We have been to visit Chester for a few days, I have been before way back in 90's, it was every bit lovely as I remembered. This view from a tiny porthole in a cafe on the wall near the main bridge, with the clock tower. 
The centre is exactly as I remembered the twin level shops and all the difference styles of architecture on the many different buildings, there was a lot of fake Tudor, but it did all look good together. We loved the different music sung by buskers through the day here at the centre, and with the great weather it all added to a fantastic atmosphere. 

We walked the walls every day, Tuesday evening we did just the once round, Wednesday and Thursday we spent each day up on the wall and down exploring everywhere else. So much to see along the river, a huge park, lots regarding the Romans, and so many beautiful arches.
Our hotel was inside the walls, so the car was parked the whole time, and we walked as you can see from my steps. On the drive home yesterday my knees and feet were so pleased to be resting.
Having 3 nights away was enough, we saw every thing we wanted, we learnt so much about the area, we sat and listened to lovely music, ate some lovely meals. We did not do any shopping, nothing required, the only shop we entered was M&S, for some sandwiches one afternoon.   

The weather was perfect, shorts and summer tops, sandals were worn, we did spend a couple hours every afternoon reading, allowing us to be rested for an evening outing.

The drive each way was 5 hours, we always make a couple of stops, but choosing midweek traveling helps as we avoid the weekend rush. Friday was busier coming home, but we left early as the main route south A34 is always busy on hot summer Fridays. We did pass a huge lorry fire on the opposite side of the duel carriage,  it looked very scary as the flames and black smoke poured from the lorry, we could feel the heat on our side if the road.

It's always brilliant to come home, our cats were well looked after, a neighbour and her children come in every day, we are so lucky to be able to go away without worry. The garden survived, a few pots were dryish, no plants were lost, I gave everywhere a good soak. Most of these photos were on my Instagram page, which is private, so I can add photos,  here it's open, so always best to post after we arrive home. I've not been able to comment on many post, using my phone when away has been a bit hit and miss.

5 comments:

  1. I used to visit Chester a lot when I lived in Shrewsbury. Musy go again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a lovely break. I don't think I've ever been to Chester, but it sound lovely. Might have to give it a visit some time. You certainly did lots of walking. I agree that it's always lovely to come home though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful place. I visited Chester 30 Years ago, Wonderful, greetings

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a very enjoyable break away.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a wonderful break in a fascinating place.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails