Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 10 April 2020

In the green

I have planted the 4 seeds I found in this packet, just a bit out of date, but the seeds looked OK, just hoping they grow.
 The tomato seeds have started to grow, too many for me, I will pot them up and leave on our drive for people to take, but not for a couple of weeks. 
 Bottom right corner are the pineapple plants, they have been in a couple of weeks and are still looking good. 
 These 3 have survived another winter in my cold greenhouse, they are all looking good, the Pitcher plant is losing some of it's taller growth, but the are loads of small ones to take their place. 
 I see these tulips every time I am at my greenhouse, but yesterday I noticed how beautiful the colours looked from behind, the sunshine made them look like jewels.  
 It's bluebell time, I only have English ones in the back garden, I don't like the Spanish ones at all, nothing says warm spring day more than bluebells. 
 My Peony, is a dear old plant and I love to see it come alive every year, I gave some root to my brother last year, and he's also happy it's growing in his garden. This plant was in the corner of our front lawn in my mum's garden, it's getting towards 60 years old. I do chip some of the edge roots off and pass it around, my daughter wants a plant next year, she is having her back garden done, once we get back to normal. 
 Earlier this year, the pesky squirrel dug my bonsai tree out, I did pop it back in it's pot and have kept it in my greenhouse in a shady spot, no buds as yet, but the tree is not dead, the branches are not brittle, I have everything crossed this will grow again. 
It's all about the garden at this time of year, whilst I have very little structure work, I can always find things to do, I have loads growing for the main garden, it will be May before I put much out, still the risk of some frost about.
I am having problems in the greenhouse with my dry river bed planted with my nasties, I have vine weed coming through from next door, no point in saying anything, I have been pulling it out, trying to take as much root as I can, it's the only real solution, but because it's so warm in there it grows quickly. I have dealt with it in the garden along the fence, plus Ivy, keeping it cut back and pulling the roots has slowed it down. I'm in the greenhouse each morning pulling the stuff up, but it's so full in there and my plants are not ones you can get close to.

5 comments:

  1. Must be down to simple geography but my tulips and bluebells are just leaf at the moment and the peonies. Ours are over 100 years old and i think this year I will try to take some root away to create new plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious peony! I love it when plants have a 'history' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gardening is such a great hobby, there's always something to keep you occupied and things change all the time. Those tulips are such a beautiful colour, we have some huge red and yellow ones which were already planted when we bought the house over twenty six years ago now, yet they appear without fail every year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an amazing length of time for one plant to keep growing. It's good that you are sharing it around the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning tulip, they are a jewel colour and so wide open compared to some.
    At the community garden Dh has problems with one particular garden that borders it. The vine comes thought the fence rapidly. He uses a weedkiller in a well labelled glass jar with a hole in the top and bends some of the thicker vine stem into it, it will suck up the weedkiller and take it back down to the root. sometimes it works and sometimes not, but might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails