Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 22 January 2021

Outside in my garden

I saw this on a garden group page on Facebook and loved it, as an organic gardener, I am pleased to say our balance is such I don't suffer to too many issues. 
We spend some of our Christmas money on these solar lights, they will add fun to the garden, and have been placed on the garage wall. 
My pots have loads of new shoots, I find bulbs grow better in pots, our heavy clay soil rots most of the bulbs I have planted, the only bulbs to survive are daffodils and bluebells. I have 1 pot with snowdrops in, which I had forgot I planted, so finally I will have them on show. I looked back on my post from last year to see what bulbs I purchased, but I did not record anywhere, which bulbs I put in which pots, it's a case of wait and see. 
My Hellebores are also in bud, I cut back the leaves this week. The darker bloom was re-potted into this bigger black pot and therefore has less new growth on, the pink one has been in this spot for years. . 
I have a lone snowdrop in the back garden, I have planted bulbs here for the past 3 years, so this is an expensive bloom. I hope to remove the protective frames in a few weeks, it has stopped this bed being dug up by cats and foxes.  My pots look good, this are should be full of shades of green this summer.
The garden came through the storm unharmed, but in truth we had the weaker end of it, mainly windy with steady rain rather than the huge amounts dropped further up the country. My heart feels for everyone who has their homes flooded, I can not imagine how you start to sort out so much damage in your homes. Snow was spoken as a possibility for our area on Sunday, but I am not expecting it to pitch, I have said many times we often miss the snow, grandson Will is praying it snows he has a sled he wants to use .

I have been looking at what I have in our garden, not plants, I am happy with the placement of plants, but I do have one spot in the side garden where I moved the worms to fill, my 1st thought was to put the worms back, but they are sheltered in their new home. I have moved pots about and moved the tall chimney to the side garden, I also want to split some Alliums from the back corner, I split them a couple of years ago and they are huge again. I also have a small white lavender, it broke from daughters plants last summer, it has now rooted and can go in the garden. After an hour outside, I have noticed a few snowdrops in the side garden, none came up last year, so I'm just a bit hopeful they are such a beautiful dainty tiny flower early in the season. 

9 comments:

  1. ... our grandchildren are also hoping for some snow!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always amazed by garden pictures at this time of year. We got more snow today and growing things will not be appearing for many months yet.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when the Spring bulbs start to appear, I have plenty pushing up in pots and the garden. Spring is my favourite season, all that promise of new things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could get out to my garden, its like a quagmire out there, so much rain!

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen The Gardener's Hymn before, so funny but so true. Those solar lights are lovely and depict you and your hubby very well, it's nice to be given money to spend on something you'd like but wouldn't ordinarily buy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the gardeners hymn it's spot on. I have planted lots of bulbs in my lawn back and front it's heavy clay soil too and I have a feeling they won't grow there's no sign of them yet. I prefer pots because then you can just move them out the way once the bulbs have finished flowering, no sign of the snowdrops either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Gardeners Hymn made me smile, it is so true :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that poem. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been following the news, so I probably missed what's happening in your part of the world. I hope the flooding wasn't too bad, where they received rain. We tend to get the outskirts of the storms in our area too. One of the benefits of living in a rain shadow, if there can be one. Your garden looks lovely, as it's waking up for the growing season ahead.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails