Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 29 January 2021

Growing and blooming

My second amaryllis is in bloom just 2 flowers, there are another 3 buds, not sure if they will grow, this was an expensive bulb and I truly am not sure if it was worth the money. I now know I prefer the brighter reds and pinks flowers. Checking the box this bloom should have been pink with a hint of white. 
 My orchid blooms are almost gone, this plant has been brilliant, purchased in October for £6, it's lasted over 3 months, a great frugal way to have fresh flowers, and the hope is it will bloom again. 
After complaining about all my snowdrops failing around the garden, I have found a few small clumps of them, so there is hope. 

The greenhouse is looking good, my nasties are all thriving in there, the green pot has bulbs in, it's not a pot I can leave outside, so I have placed them where they can be seen, I will probably bring them inside once they start to bloom, I'm not sure what these bulbs are.
I posted a photo of these pots on my decking table a  week ago, blooms are forming and the tiny iris looks beautiful, in my eyes this arrangement will always be hope. 
We , well I mean hubby changed the brackets along the fence, I had asked him to put up cuphooks, but they did not look right, I found 3 of these curved metal hooks in my shed, which should have been put up on the front of our pergolia, but I did not like them, totally hung the wrong way, but they work, nothing heavy will be hung here. The bird cage has all our corks in, collected over the past few summers.
Spending time outside on Thursday morning was so good for me, I got things done, checked my plants popped in the greenhouse last year, they are surviving well. I do love to see the new growth, old plants coming back to life, friends returning, the work I did last year in the back garden is coming to life, so the promise of loads of colour.
I expected hubby to say no to changing the hooks on the fence, but he loved the way we are using them, much nicer than cup hooks. I can't wait until I put all my birds along the shelves and fill this area with colour. Most of my birds will survive the winter weather, but they do get knocked onto the garden, so they are best packed away. 
The back inside corner of my shed is really wet, we can't get to the outside as it built  and placed very close to the neighbours fences, not much we can do now, but once the dry weather arrives we will empty the shed and try and fix the problem, I have moved items from the corner to allow airflow. 
I have been busy with the sleeves on my jumper, I have found a snag, because I am knitting long sleeves from a short sleeve design, I am making it up as I knit, my issue is I have too many stitches at the cuff, the sleeves are too wide, normally I would decrease from the elbow down, but if I do that the pattern will fail, so I am doing trial and error, 1st attempt too wide, 2 attempt wrong shape, I am working on my 3rd attempt, in hope this might work, photo's next post. Very frustrating, but it does need to be right, I hate to wear anything which does not look good. 

7 comments:

  1. I always have the cheaper amaryllis bulbs which can be bought ready potted up in the supermarkets and they've never failed me yet. I usually put one on my Christmas wish list, it's a nice gift to receive. Mine is just about ready to bloom now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you say about "old friends returning".

    That's exactly how I feel about some of my plants 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pale pink orchid and amaryllis, as you say they provide beauty for a longer period than cut flowers. I had a red amaryllis bought for Christmas one year it did really well but never bloomed again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pink orchid. I so love orchids. I was told they produce a sense of calm and reduce stress. I have two prchids and they have flowered twice for me since I had them. I have just recently noticed little green twigs are sprouting out from the long air roots. I call that a miracle as I am pretty ignorant about caring for indoor plants.:-) You must have green fingers because all those pots in your photos are showing signs of renewed life....fabulous! What do you mean by your nasties? keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My nasties are my cactus and succulents, my grandson always call them my nasties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing what comes up again in the spring.

    Love your nasties by the way.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, as pink is my favourite colour I especially enjoyed seeing your first two photographs :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails