Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 20 January 2021

New start

I saw this on another blog and fell in love with it, such a simple design but so pretty.

I do have issues, as much as I love the colours, I will be using yarn from my stash, this is a neck down knitted jumper knitted in the round using double knitting, I only have 4 ply in my stash. I have purchased the pattern and I am now looking at how I can transfer it to a 4ply knitted down pattern I already have, I will make my jumper longer and with long sleeves. The yoke is the area where all stitches are added, I am hoping I can match the number of stitches on this jumper pattern to stitches on the 4ply pattern, which would make this much easier, as I would just have to adapt the lengths. 

 I purchased this hand dyed yarn from Burrow and Soar back in September, it just called to me, so I purchased 200grms, sadly I can't afford to make anything using just her yarns, it would be far too expensive. 
I have stocked up on the lovely shades, with the intension of using them with the hand dyed yarn above, my thoughts had been to make a striped jumper. Baby merino is one of my favorite yarns, and I often use it, so I always have colours in my stash. I am not sure about the navy and dark pink, but the other 5 shades work well. 
This is my 2nd start, I did my 1st with pale blue followed by the mixed colour, but the contrast did not work, the colours blended rather than stood out, I had wanted to start in the off white but I also wanted to use this colour on the cuffs. Having rechecked the design I could see the colours did not follow any pattern, they just sat where they could make the most dramatic contrast, so with that in mind I reset my thinking, I will use the darker blue next, and decide at each colour change what to use next, wish me luck. 

Well it did not take long for me to break my own rules of finishing things this year, except the pattern, I did have everything in my stash, so I'm not a complete failure. With everything going on outside, this virus and the way we are having to live, I needed something to inspire me, fire up my creativity, and sadly hexagons and knitted socks were not doing it for me.  Plus I can sit for hours and knit, I love watching this grow, all knitted on the round, hardly any sewing up to do. 

I have finished one pair of socks and have another pair on the go, plus a bit of knitting for Will's jacket. 

We are sitting out storm Christoph, the garden is undamaged so far, I did pop some of my pots off the table and onto the decking, just in case, they are full of bulbs and are all terracotta. Just tired this morning after a very windy and wet night, hope you are all safe and dry.

8 comments:

  1. The colours look lovely together. I've hardly done any knitting, or other crafting, since before Christmas, I just can't seem to get going with anything at the moment. It's very wet here, lots of rain, but no wind thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just constant heavy rain here but not too windy. I like the idea of the jumper knitted in the round though never would have attempted that myself when I did knit. Your colours go together really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is going to be lovely. I'm rather glad you broke your own rule of finishing things this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful and you set yourself a task adapting the pattern for 4 ply I wish you the best of luck it will be amazing when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very good that you use the strong colors, because you need that for the contrast ... I also really like the pattern. I wish you a lot of fun knitting. It will be a very nice sweater. All the best to you ... I hope the storm did no harm. Many greetings from Europe. Viola

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely colours and the pattern is beautiful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very clever with your knitting. It is a great talent you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colours look so lovely together, it's a nice pattern.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails