Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 2 January 2021

New year, same stuff

Winter is here, cold and crisp, no snow and for a few days no rain, so it's hot chocolate time, we always have Butlers hot chocolate, which come as solid blocks of chocolate which you melt in the milk, rich and creamy. 
I did manage to read one more book last year, my 83rd book, and it was another brilliant read, simple plot, which twisted in the telling, I will add this author to my list to look out for. 
Hubby and I were so ill on boxing day, we ordered a test, we both hoped it was just a flu, but both became unwell quickly which included cough, no taste and smell, we know of loads of locals who have the virus, we are now both feeling better, but as yet have not been out anywhere, results expected in a couple of days. I am expecting a negative, but who knows these strange days. 
Both amaryllis are growing tall, neither was quick to bud, the cheaper bulb had leaves first, which normally means no blooms, the expensive bulb is much shorter. So flowers inside in January. 
 
Christmas to New Year was lost to us, not well enough to do anything, we had everything we needed, we ate very simple, it's hard to makes meals when you are unwell and can't taste anything. We were so tired all the time, we did not plan to stay up on new year's eve, but an interesting music show on channel 5, and then the taped Graham Norton show followed, so we were still up at 11.50pm and watched BBC2 for 15 minutes, so the new year came with a fizzle rather than a wizz and a bang. 

I have since managed a walk around our garden, it's still looking good, the side flowerbed is a bit bare, we both agreed we need a couple of shrubs to give winter colour and structure, I could do with an hour outside to tidy, but that won't happen this week. We are having heavy Frost most nights, I do go out and crack the ice on the birds water, and top up the rain chain which they love. 

I am starting to pack the dec's away, its going to be a mammoth job as hubby can't help with getting full boxes back into the attic, luckily the attic door is in our bedroom wall, I have packed all the silk flowers and hand made cushions away, I hope to do a box a day and then the tree, which is the biggest, I have 6 boxes in all. In previous years I have everything packed away by 31st of December, this year with low energy levels, things are later. The outside lights we will turn off, and leave until February, when hubby is more mobile. 

My tabletop computer power failed, I should get it back tomorrow, so just a few days in this new year and another expensive repair. 

Thank you for your comments on my previous post, so many bloggers have health issues and are waiting for treatment, these are horrible times, we have to wait for results and support our family member, the waiting is the worse part. 

13 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you've felt poorly over the last week or so, I hope the test comes back negative and that you're both feeling well again soon. My decorations were down on the 30th, I don't like having them hanging around into the new year either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear of your worrying news. Hope all is not as bad as feared. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you haven't been well over the holidays . I hope you will have good news about your test. If I may suggest don't worry about your decorations being put away or anything else that can be left for another day just take it easy until you feel 100%. A walk around the garden and some fresh air sounds good but all in your own time. Rest! enjoy your book and your hot chocolate which incidently sounds yummy! Sending loads of positive vibes down along the coast and across the channel. Take care Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers crossed for your test results, glad you are improving. Here’s to getting through January and better times to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear you've both been unwell over the festive season. Your hot chocolate drinks sound and look delicious. I'm taking down the tree and cards tomorrow, definitely been up long enough now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dread being I'll in the current climate. My friend has been to a test station twice in the last week because she in contact with done who is I'll and she has become I'll, but it's been negative twice. I do hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry than you have not been well, trouble is every time someone is not feeling well now we automatically think of Covid, we forget that taste and smell can be affected with a bad cold too, it's a worry though, fingers crossed both your tests come back negative.
    Our decorations were all down by 31st, I like to start the new year afresh, although I do have lights on my mantle and in the conservetory, I think you need something to brighten these dull days.
    Hope you feel better soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you are feeling back to normal in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to read that you were unwell. I do hope the test comes back negative.

    Rest when you need to, putting away decorations one box at a time here as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Marlene, I do hope your tests come back negative. Please continue taking good care of yourself and hubby. Rest lots, drink plenty of water, just go slow until you are feeling better. Sending hugz, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Take care and just do as much as your feel up to doing until you feel well again. Those hot chocolates look very therapeutic and a walk around your garden sounds lovely too. Take care! MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've both been a little unwell this Christmas, but I think it's been a cold, as OH got a test and it was negative - he had worse symptoms than me with quite a bad cough. I was just a bit snuffly with a little cough for a day or two. It's so hard to tell, but as we weren't going anywhere save than to walk the dog, we didn't come into contact with anyone anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Warmest wishes from our home to yours for things to improve. Fingers crossed you are both negative. Ds's girlfriend thought she had it but after a negative test the dr diagnosed a sinus infection/throat virus that is apparently going about. Take care, much love xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails