Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Sunday 7 June 2020

Inside

Rain means more reading, book 37 this year, I enjoyed this, clever plot, the title leads you to think it's another book in the series I have just read, but this has a different police department. I have another book of her's to read. I've almost finished my next book, another by this author.
I have found this knitting pattern on Lovecrafts, it's just what I have been looking for, most of my knitting I use 4ply yarns, I have some beautiful cotton yarn, purchased from Spain and I have been wanting to use them, I would have to use 2 colours, which would not be an issue, I often change the length and make my knitting shorter, I am petite in my body measurements. It is knitted in one piece, and then put to circular needles after the button section is finished. 
I have done a swatch with my Spanish cotton, it drapes well, but for me  it's a bit to sheer, I can see through the knitting, and at my age and body shape that's probably not a good thing. I do knit loose and often use a size smaller needle than the pattern states, which is what I did here, also the cotton is very silky and stitches slip off the needles, not great if I have 300 to 400 stitches on the go.  I looked on Lovecrafts site and found a cotton mix yarn which I liked, it was half price which helped, just have to wait until it arrives. 
I have done more on my socks, it was a case of needing my needles, the size 2.5mm was being used on the heel section and I wanted them so I could knit a gauge square to check sizing, it won't take me long to finish these now. 
 Our biggest task was deciding what cake to bake for this weeks treat, it is husbands turn to bake, so he made carrot cake, which I have never tasted, I have an allergy to nuts and often pass when I see carrot cake as often there are nuts. He used our new sandwich tins, just 6" round, perfect for just 2 of us, should last most of this week, will have our 1st slice later, but I think we won't be able to eat all the frosting he has used. 
I have done more on my blanket, I have 2 complete rows, before I start squaring the bottom end off, the blanket will be oblong as I will use it for a lap blanket, every time I start work on this blanket, Grace asks to sit on my lap, I think she knows I won't move for a while. I will have yarn left over from this blanket, I am just starting on the 2nd ball of each colour, so I will have about half left over, I will pop it into my knitted blanket box, I mainly have mixed colours so far, so the plain shades will work well. 

It is cold all over the weekend, no more sandals, jumpers again, typical weather, we did manage some walks, but most of the time is spent inside. Today is a sunny start so we are outside, we have a few things to do, as I am finishing this post hubby is installing our new 3rd water butt, it came yesterday, and he wants it in place before we get any more rain. I have a few task to sort and then a walk, nothing too hard or taxing.

11 comments:

  1. 37 books?! I'm only on my 3rd. I'm currently re reading Northanger Abbey. Your cake looks delicious and very generously frosted. Our water butts are both full. The rain has been good for the garden and a few green shoots are appearing in the scorched grass. Take care. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a small sandwich tin that I often use when I make half a recipe. Love the top, 400 stitches makes me nervous. It would certainly be hokey if I was doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty pattern for your new sumner top.
    Carrot cake, one of my favourites, enjoy.
    Its been quite nippy weatherwise, our heating cut in this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a suggestion, do you have any wood or bamboo needles? I find cotton easier to work with on wood. My steel aeros are just too slidey for cottons.

    I purchased some beautiful Katia brand cotton in February when we were in Spain and am looking for the right pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I did not know that, might have to look for some.

      Delete
  5. Ohhh, I really like that pattern.

    Love carrot cake and now I think I just may have to make one.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life sounds good. Enjoy your carrot cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love that cake, the frosting makes it look like it was made by a man, lol. I love carrot cake but Tom doesn't so I never make it.
    Love your poppy background.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppies have always been a big thing in my life, mum loved them.

      Delete
  8. The cake looks delicious. Carrot cake is one of my favourites but I usually avoid it because of the nuts. X

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails