Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 15 June 2020

Harvest due

I purchased this fruit cage this spring, as we now feed so many little birds, I felt my berries needed protection, it works well and does not look out of place so near our seating area. I have not covered my raspberries, so I am sharing them with the birds. 
Both my blueberries and blackcurrants are beginning to ripen, I have started picking some, we won't have enough to freeze or make into jam, but from now on we will have a supply of fruit fresh each day. I do have a pot with 3 strawberry plants, new this year, so only a small crop. 
Inside my greenhouse, I have 2 cucumber plants sharing a pot, I have cut loads of flowers from the bottom, they never grow big or straight, so I prefer to remove them and wait a bit longer. This year I will keep on top of trimming these plants to stop them getting huge, I only require 2 cucumbers per week, so I won't grow as many as last year. The tomato plant in front was grown from a seed from a shop purchased tomato, I want to see if I grow them at home are they more tasty. 
In front of the greenhouse  are 2 tomato plants, both these will produce small tomatoes, both plants have green fruit on them, I have placed my plants here in pots for many years, always getting good results. 
Not a harvest, but flowers from seeds purchased in Spain for me by a friend, these are beautiful, but only flower if kept in my greenhouse, it's nice to have space for flowers. I have loads of soft wood cuttings here, most look good and I am hoping to have loads of new plants.

The raspberries are being picked every couple of days, this is the 1st year we get to eat them, in the past few years different grandsons have helped picked and ate most of the crop.  I have blackberries as well in the garden, but they fruit late summer, my gooseberry busy I dug out, it was not producing, I have decided I will purchase another plant and hope to get a rhubarb growing in a huge pot. 

I have salad leaves, rocket, coriander and parsley growing in pots, some in the greenhouse and some in the herb bed, so salads should be lovely and fresh. I do also have spring onions to sow, a few each week, to spread out the crop. 

I always say my garden space it small, but I have through the 11 years we have been here, worked out ways to make the best use of the plot, fruit is always a great harvest, the plants tend to grow upwards, which means I can grow more. 

I've had a busy few days, our Zoom Makaton course worked well, just 6 students, so much smaller class, but 9am start at the weekend was a bit early for me, so we had earlier bed times. With Makaton each sign has a sketch, so we have 2 things to learn for each word, for now we will use simple signs for both boys (George and Will), I have plenty to practice and show hubby, so he can use sign as well. 
Saturday we had our 1st takeaway for months, hubby asked on our local Facebook page, which was the best Chinese, we went with the most popular, which we had not used for years and had a great meal, loads leftover for Sunday, not too expensive so we will do it again, with a good bottle of red wine between us. 
Sunday hubby took the outside table to bits to start sanding it, he also made rock cakes for this week's treat. We managed a walk and stayed dry, it was sunny no rain all day, but we also had loads of dark clouds which threatened rain. I spent afternoon outside, nothing much to do, loads of time in greenhouse checking on my cuttings and watering. I have finished the socks, I'm really pleased with them, photo next time, I have done loads to my blanket, but I'm itching to start knitting, but yet I've not had a reply to the yarn shortage. 
It's a sunny start here, lazy day planned after a busy weekend. 



6 comments:

  1. Our raspberries are not ripe yet so I'm really jealous. We do cover them with a fleece but a cage would be good.
    I've never grown cucumbers and without a green house no point, but we have loads of tomatoes to come. You've a lovely garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reported all my toms, peppers, cues and butternut squash as they've doubled in size recently. Your cucumber looks much better than mine. I put one into the ground but it's not doing well so I'm going to pot it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing tastes as delicious as produce you have grown yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to cover our strawberries and am trying to figure out a way to cover the cherry trees (they are small right now, but covered in cherries). I don't mind sharing with the birds, but ours seem excessively greedy and leave nothing for me.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've certainly got a lot of good things growing.
    Pleased you enjoyed your take-away.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is looking brilliant Marlene, and you will find you get far more berries now the birds cannot help themselves!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails