Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 8 May 2020

Lock down week 7


The back of my blanket, I was always taught by my mum, the back of your work is as important as the front, I am going to sew all these ends in before doing any more, I have already done the bottom corner. I do like to try and keep up with the sewing in of ends, to leave it all to the end would be overwhelming. 
This is coming along well, diagonal rows of one colour with the hand dyed added at random points, I say random, but I spend time deciding where they are going, so they are spread through out the blanket. Occasionally I do a complete row with just the flat colour, in this photo, it's the pale pink row. 
I decided I love this enough to make myself a lap blanket (another one), so I have 20 squares along the bottom, I am now just adding to the length, it's much simpler and quicker. I have ordered a contrast colour so I can make a boarder, in hope it stops some of the curling. 
Hubby did the baking this week, he wanted to make rock cakes, they tasted delicious, just out of the oven, I was not stealing a hot one, just showing the size of them. He sent 1 each for Su, hubby and Will, we had other food for them. Plus 4 went to our lovely neighbours at the back of our house. It's no surprise we did not loose much weight last month with all the lovely baking.  
SIL sent this photo of Will, who loves racing games, I am calling this photo determination, because he can just reach the pedals and drive, I think daddy is going to have to get a 2nd seat soon for racing games. 
Jo from Through the keyhole, reviewed another book she had read, our taste are similar, and often I enjoy the same books, so I read this, totally different style for me, but I enjoyed every word, I could not put this book down, which was perfect as I was trying to rest my bad back. 

Another week of lock down has passed, it's been hot, but the weather is changing to cold again, I have been resting my back so not alot of gardening, I have started potting up my nasties from the greenhouse, nice and easy without straining my back. I am knitting the 2nd sock, shown in a previous post, the pair will be for my sister for Christmas, I am thinking of making another pair in a bigger size for her partner, matching socks. 
Hubby and I have had loads of fun going through old photo albums, remembering holidays, family and friend gatherings, a few photo's of loved ones no longer with us, I also want to look at my huge memory box, it's an otterman in our bedroom.
I have been for a couple of short walks, once to our local Co-op where I stand outside as hubby shops, this we do once a week, but I am noticing more people are going in the shop just for smaller things, a man came out with his purchased lunch, a lady came out looked as if she had just got lottery, and another with a paper, we still only pop to the Co-op for fruit and salad and only once each week, we have been lucky to get delivery slots from Asda, not our normal shop, but we are happy to get food delivered to our door. My neighbour has had her family visiting her, we hear them in their garden all playing together. I am desperate to see daughter, Will and George, but we are sticking to the guidelines. I am hoping our Prime Minster in his announcement on Sunday will allow families to get together in their own homes, I have no desire to go out shopping or use public transport. 

9 comments:

  1. Awww Will looks to be having fun with his racing game! We ventured on a longer walk to the beach sand dunes at the bottom of our road yesterday. It's been hot and muggy here too; good for washing and drying :) We too are keeping to the guidelines and keep in touch with family by phone. Keep safe and well. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so annoying when you stick to the guidelines yet you see others blatantly flouting them. Our next door neighbours had their grown-up grandchildren round yesterday, sat next to each other in the garden enjoying food together. I'm glad you enjoyed the book, it's such a lovely story and I was sorry when I came to the end. Your blanket is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you C2C blanket, I am playing with hexies for a change.. looked at that book and at 99p kindle version I snapped it up. Carry on isolating regardless of your selfish neighbours.. keeps you and us safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went shopping yesterday late afternoon, I hate going and can't wait to get back home and change my clothes. The added chore of wiping everything down is the worse bit. I haven't been inside a supermarket for 3 weeks, so it needed doing. Joanne brings Bonnie round and we sit in the garden, we still observe the distancing though and they don't come into the house and we don't pick the children up or cuddle them, something both they and us desperately want to do, i'm sure you feel the same. I'm listening to the audio book Jo recommended, only downloaded and started listening yesterday so not too far in yet.
    Lovely progress on your C2C blanket, I hate sewing in ends but it's got to be done, and it's not a good idea to leave them till the end.
    Have a good Bank Holiday wekeend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with Jo. We miss our families badly while some of the neighbors seem to be carrying on as if there were no guidelines in place. The people down the street were having a large grilling party last weekend, it's so frustrating.
    Must learn to make rock cakes. They look fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some people are clearly flouting the guidelines, but with the death toll still very high, it is quite worrying that this will go on longer, especially if people aren't sticking to the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blanket is beautiful. I have really missed seeing our oldest son, but until he feels that it will be safe to travel to see us I will have to make do with phone calls, and texts.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colours in your blanket, Marlene. It's a lovely project. I hope you'll get to be with your loved ones again soon. Restrictions here are easing very gradually. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great blanket emerging. I don't like the sewing in of ends either.
    The books on my 'to read' list.
    Will looks like he is having fun.
    Hope your weekend has been lovely, the weather here today not so nice.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails