Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 25 October 2017

Words or pictures

I recently read this book and then watch the TV adaptation 
Firstly the book, the story being set in the future after humans have almost destroyed our earth, I enjoyed the style of the writing, the main character was believable, the setting against an restrictive life full of rules, fear and her role now within society.  Her memories of her previous life and family, trying to recall and not forget, plus the fear of general life, everyone watching everyone.

The TV adaptation, I found the 10 episodes very good viewing, the story line was very good, a different view of our possible future, they covered all the story plot, adding to the original plot, to ensure the story was told and understood. The last 3 episodes were added to the story, which sat well and gave a view of the larger story, away from the handmaids home.

For me the book won out, at just over 300 pages, it was never going to take 10 hours on film. A couple of main points were left out or twisted for TV, and TV spent far more time on her past life. 

One good point is the ending, it kept within the scope of the book and TV did not change it.

6 comments:

  1. We're enjoying the TV series too.

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read or watched this but it's good to hear that the TV series hasn't spoilt the story as sometimes happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My book group is reading that for our Nov. book. I have the audio book. I was not looking forward to it because I don't really like stories set in the future but you make it sound ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a book I have read and Dh didn't fancy the TV series. It's nice to read that the series did follow the book, often it doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched the series first time around and enjoyed it. They are cobbling together a second series which I think is a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just read both the book and watched the tv show. They were both interesting. I like how the TV show made it more relevant and made the story very close to home. It was set maybe 10 years away. The thing that got me with both stories is how easy it would be to happen. How easy it would be to end up in that sorry of society and it did scare me a little. I guess it did it's job then.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails