Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 5 August 2023

Summer blooms

My begonias are the stars at the moment, busting into flowers, from deep red, through pinks and oranges to pale petals as the different plants open around the plot, it's fun and beautiful. I still have 2 plants to form buds, so I don't know their colours yet. 


By the back door one of my fuchsias is flowering, I swapped these 2 plants around when I dug out the bed, this is the taller of them, it going to be great by the gates, plenty of room for it to grow. The coleus are both doing well as are the Nemesia. 
My new daisy has not drooped at all, the amount of rain has helped, and being by the Magnolia tree, its not water logged. My Chinese Witch hazel loves this spot and pot, it's getting huge.
This part of the side fence which we don't use is looking good, 4 different begonias in this area, all in pots, which I find works for good growth. The big blue pot under the acer was planted earlier this year, it fills the corner and looks lovely from the sitting room.
I can't see any new growth from the cut back willow tree stump, which is good, I have everything crossed we are able to kill it off. The trunk is in the garden, ready for a trip to the tip, even though its been cut down, there are new shoots, which have gotten bigger in the last week, it's a hardy plant.

The garden is doing well, we have had almost double the rain fall in July and its been very windy, so I'm pleased the garden is still looking good, my cucumber plant has died back, just not warm enough, typical as it was the first year of letting it grow outside, I have a glut from 2 tomato plants and the other 2 are full of green tomatoes.  I am picking blueberries and raspberries,  a nice steady harvest, fresh fruit most days. Our cut back blackberry bush is full of green fruits, I won't get a big harvest this year.

Everywhere is full of colour, I do have a couple spots starting to go over, the raised bed has colour but the bedding plants are past their best. My sweet peas have done well, I have been picking only small bunches, it's the best year so far for them. I have purchased a pack of 12 Violas, I love the tiny flowers, I have popped them into bigger pots, to have stronger plants for the garden. 

Hubby was not happy with the rose in his front garden, it grows fast and tall, which is not great on a bungalow wall, I suggested he could move it to the side, pop it in front of a hole in her jungle next door. It could grow up and hopefully we would get loads of flowers, it might backfire and she could cut back any growth on her side. I was meaning to move it later in the year, hubby set too and sorted it, it's a tough plant having been moved a few times. 

They are promising better weather next week, but first we need to get past this weekend, here is very wet, windy and cold, I'm wearing trainers, jeans a jumper and cardigan, it's more like late September than high summer. We have had pockets of sun shine, hence the photo's above, but really it's August, can some one tell the jet stream to move on up!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely garden! It's cold and wet here but the sun is trying to break through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your summer blooms look lovely, so colourful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great garden. I love begonias, but could not find any I wanted to plant, they were only selling the type I really don't care for.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails