Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Monday 28 August 2023

Long weekend

I was not sure about this book, it could be good or silly, as it turns out it was good, very good, not my normal read, but very enjoyable. Set in the near future, just 3 main people and their interactions with each other and how they change, grow, expand, it had 467 pages and I loved each one. She has another book which I am off to find called Last one at the party. Book 24 read this year.

Late August garden is looking good, I ripped out the french marigolds and replaced them with colourful viola's in the front of the side bed, I have been harvesting berries which are huge this year and tomatoes. This is our view for the weekend, it's calm and relaxing and just what we need. Some of the flowers are on their final bloom, summer is drawing to a close, it's rushed by, the speed added to by the number of wet days, this summer will be remembered for the amount of rain. 
It looks like a cat flap, it is a cat flap, for hubby is a triumph, we have an open plan house, so an electronic cat flap is a important item, it allows any animal to exit from the house, but it only allows certain cats back in, it reads the chips in both our cats, ours stopped working, hubby took it apart to clean and check, got in touch with the company, sent video's as we could not return the item (it would have left a huge hole in the door), in less than a week it has been replaced under warranty, and we are back secure. Our old one was white, but I can live with this one being black. 

 The cat flap is the third thing hubby has repaired this month, our coffee filter pot stopped working, hubby took it apart and descaled everything, we live in a hard water area, it's working perfectly again. Our paper shredder had jammed, he freed it, but it still would not work, he came in for coffee shaking his head muttering we need a new one, after his coffee, he had one more go and now that is working again, he will tell you he is not technical, but he does like taking things apart and rebuilding them. Nice savings this month, repair rather than renew, we both like to pack things away clean, I empty my Dyson each time I use it, he cleans everything after use, we both were raised by parents who made us look after our stuff. 

Having had a BBQ on Friday, I have lost track of the days over the weekend, and made this bank holiday a day longer, not that national holidays mean much to us, just loads more cars on our roads. Our oldest grandson Josh, has been at Redding festival for the weekend, he has just had his 18th birthday, locally in Portsmouth Victorious is happening, it was under threat as our local bus drivers were going on strike the whole weekend, as well as the trains, but at the last moment the bus drives cancelled their protest.  Saturday I did almost nothing, again I was tired, my brother spent 2 days with his daughter, so hubby and I had a restful day and evening together and I finally a glass of red wine. My brother returned last night from his daughters house, they have football matches all day today, so Martin is back here. Later we are having another BBQ, we are inviting the guys from the house at the bottom of the garden, after I have ate, I will come inside and leave them to it.   

Thank you for your comments in my last post, daughter knows George well and knew he needed antibiotics,  any decent doctor would have seen him and given her a course and see how he is, the hospital said they were giving him them, but as he was there they would observe him, daughter sat for 6 hours, time when she desperately needed sleep herself. The department was very quiet, happily not too many sick children, George has perked up, Molly is looking better, they do bounce germs off each other. They both had a birthday party on Sunday, at their friends home, the host told daughter to bring them along, let them stay and play for as long as necessary, the host had already purchased food for them both to eat as they are both dairy free, Molly also can't eat Soya, George doesn't eat meat, they had loads of fun and slept well that night. As George gets older he is being invited to more parties, he is like every other 3 year old, loves a party and playing with friends, daughter has a great network of friends, who do not exclude him.

4 comments:

  1. I'm pleased to see that George is better.
    Mending things is very satisfying and so much cheaper than replacing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear George is better. Sorry I didn't get around to reading the post where he was unwell until now. It's good that your hubby is very good at mending things. I also like to try to mend things where I can. It saddens me that so many electricals have are not built to last these days and add to global waste before they really need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that George is feeling better.

    I am glad that the cat flap is back to working properly and how wonderful the company replaced it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased to read that George is better, and he and Molly were able to go to the party.
    Your garden looks very nice.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails