Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 11 August 2023

Inside out

I am outside whenever the rain stops, my last Amaryllis bulb had died back, and the compost was completely dry, so I removed the bulb, and found this tiny bulb growing, I have never seen it on a huge bulb like this, I have left it attached, popping them into a paper bag and placed in my wooden tray. I have no idea if I am doing things right with these 7 bulbs, I will plant them in pots later this year.  
I cut one flower from each plant, including the bedding plants and popped them into this container, this is the reason I love begonias, each so different and beautiful,  including the leaves, and they will flower until the frost comes, so for weeks and weeks. The colours are stunning in both blooms and leaves. 
Grace fast asleep on our shelf by the fence, this spot is above our bench, where we sit, she was totally out for a while, normally by the time I get my phone she would have moved. Like us she seeks the warmth when the sun shines, there is enough space for her to get comfortable. I normally find her asleep on the bench.
I have sorted Bette's hair again, the string of pearls have not grown as well as I hoped, I pulled out the plant and soil, her neck was full of water drained from watering, so I emptied it and filled the area with sand, hopefully it should help drainage, lots of new potting compost and now it's wait and see time. The succulent's are from here, they have got huge, I still hope the three babies will grow into the beautiful plant their mother was, most of my house plants are doing well. 
Wilko's had their seeds on sale, not many left, but I did get these packs all with 75% off, I was looking for their bean poles, but they are still at full price. We wondered around B&M, they were marking down all their garden items, but nothing interested us. TK Max was the same, I did see some cushions, which would go well in our sitting room once decorated, but left them, maybe next time when we are in town. I was shocked to see more shops shutting in our centre, a couple have moved to the out of town location, some are gone for good. So sad to hear the news for Wilko's I always go into that store, most of my gardening bits come from there, I will really miss it if they close. 

I have seen this book around and on a few blogger / Instagram pages I follow, from ladies whose booking reading mirrors my own, so I managed to get a copy, I enjoyed the story, it was good to follow, but the style of writing was not to my  taste, a bit too brittle for me. It did make good reading, nice for a change as no one was murdered. Book 17 read this year. 

Tuesday we had a good meal out at lunchtime, we did a bit of shopping  and caught the bus home, stayed dry the whole time, it was a dull day. Wednesday was a day at home, we did walk to village to rid ourselves of the unwanted glasses and mugs from the dining room. Thursday hubby was decorating,  so I had time on my computer, working on importing pages into my 2021 book, I have also proof read two months. Today is a repeat of yesterday, hubby should finish painting today.

I have grown into my version of my mum, she preferred being outside, her garden was four times the size of ours, plenty to do, I now prefer the flowers and shrubs she grew, modern plants just pass me by, mum loved bedding plants. Dad grew veg only in his back garden, he had a huge daisy by his shed, but generally if you could not eat it, he was not interested. Mum's top half of the garden was planted in later years into an orchard, she did get fruits before she moved out. Mum had her front gardens whilst I was a child, we have old photo's showing them full of colourful flowers.

It will soon be time to pop everything back into the dining room, I did a huge sort of my knick-knacks a while ago, so those only need a wipe down before returning them to their spot. Soon I will need to empty the sitting room, which has less stuff in there, it's another easy room to decorate, plus it's the last one for this year. 

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the reveal of your newly decorated room/s. I agree that it's a real shame if Wilkos goes. So many old school names have disappeared in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of town shopping centres are attractive and convenient, I suppose, but they kill high street shops. When will we learn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so tough on retail at the moment, such a shame about Wilko stores.

    Wishing you a happy weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like Johnnyjumpsup I am looking forward to seeing those newly decorated rooms.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to read Lessons in Chemistry, thanks for the reminder - I must try and reserve it at the library!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails