Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Saturday 20 November 2021

Get stuffed


This project is finished.
I have made pockets on children's cushions before for their reading books, on this cushion, I made a huge pocket on the back for patterns. I am always juggling with a pattern when knitting and often it falls on the floor, so this should be useful.

All finished, I am really pleased how well it looks, not perfect, but pretty and useful, in hope my friend will pop it on her crafting chair in her summerhouse. 

 I have enjoyed stitching this project, I found the french knots very restful to do, just stitching the same colour over the pattern on the fabric, making 'S' for Shelia. I did notice the 'S' was not straight, just a little off, but it should not notice, I used a bright blue cotton for the pocket, it was the closest match from my fabric stash, adding binding at the top of the pocket, which picks out the off white lines in the design. The biggest pain was in the pretty bobbles around the edge, I was planning to pop them in between the front and back when sewing together, but the black edging was too narrow so I had to hand sew it, I stitched around it twice for strength. The size was determined by the cushion insert I purchased, just a couple of hours to finish.

I have loads of crafting things on the go, so plenty to choose from each time I sit down, I can't sit and do nothing, I will have other finishes to show, I will post photo's soon I wanted this project as a single post as I am mighty pleased with myself.

I've had a couple restful days at home, time inside, I love my creative time, last night I slept at daughters house, with Molly and George, Will had a sleep over at Grandma's house, mummy and daddy went to a huge fundraiser in Portsmouth for the local DS group, they booked a hotel room and stayed over, they will be back soon with tales of the fun they had. I've had my hair cut from a shoulder length bob is a much shorter style, George was shy for just a few moments, Molly no reaction, Will just said 'like your new hair', I got really bored and changed my style, I also have a colour to put in, purple, rather a major change for me.

I'm home the rest of the weekend, some gardening to do, a tidy and a few last bulbs to plant, then back to crafting, no plans to go anywhere, we have everything we need. 

11 comments:

  1. The cushion is fabulous, I love the bobble edging, and the pocket on the back is such a clever idea. Oooh purple, I'd love to see a pic once you've done your new hair! I've had purple in the past, both all over and highlights, it looks good on blonde or silver hair, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plenty of silver hair, I'm doing highlights.

      Delete
  2. The cushion is lovely and so useful to hold a pattern. How nice for your grandson to notice your new hairstyle. I'm not having mine cut yet as I don't want to lose my chemo curls although sadly the top is growing straight now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved my post chemo soft curls, only time in my life I had natural curls, enjoy yours whilst they last.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely marvellous cushion love the bobbly edging and the pocket! Hope to see your new 'do soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cushion is fabulous, I'm sure your friend will love it. Aren't hand made gifts the best, you just know that so much time has been put into it rather than picking something off a shelf in a shop. Oooh, purple, will you show us? I used to have blonde highlights put through my hair in my teens but have never dyed it since. I'm quite lucky in that I've only got a few stray grey hairs, though now they've appeared I realise that I could go grey overnight, haha. My mum never dyed her hair, she didn't have a strand of grey right up until the day she died at 84. She had a couple of hairdressers ask her which dye she used and they were flabbergasted when she said it was her own colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the cushion looks fabulous :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cushion, love the idea of a pocket to hold a pattern.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely finish, love the pompom trim, I'm sure your friend with appreciate your hard work.
    I hope you will show us your purple hair too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cushion and a very clever idea to put a pocket in. I'd love to see the new hair colour too, I'm not brave enough to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, purple hair!! You must have been getting bored :))
    Love your cushion and especially love that pocket. What a great idea. Mxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails