Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Tuesday 10 December 2019

Dull day, dull post

Most of our Christmas spending is done, we only require food, to help we have saved on our Co-op cards £55.99 and this week hubby got another £50 of Co-op vouchers from his pension providers, it is very handy to get this extra free money each December. For us it means no last minute trips to bigger supermarkets for the short dated items.
With not having to rush around for Christmas, we find we have loads of time to read, plus often in the evenings we turn the TV off, I can't be bothered to watch the rubbish they show, and I really don't like our soaps. 
I am not doing my 12 days of Christmas challenge this year, I take loads to charity shops through out the year, we give to other charities. We have a monthly sum going to MacMillan, we have done since 2011, I am so glad we can still afford to make the donation each month, whilst it's not a huge amount, I know they love these monthly payments to help boost their support, I can never thank them enough for the support we had when we needed it most. We also send presents for the elderly in our local hospital, and give to our local Lions club.
I have watched the last of series 3 of The Crown, I do like the new actors showing the aged royal family, it is really interesting to see things I remember shown in a different way. Can't wait for the next series.
I caught the tail end of a programme on BBC4 last night, showing the history of carols, that's not the title, I will watch it on iplayer, it did look interesting.
Changing the subject, I watched a TV documentary last week, showing the predicament of people not being able to save extra for their retirement, it was very sad, people struggling to live now have no chance of saving, and they highlighted those who rented their property. It was very sobering, and I sat watching thankful we are not facing a poor future, we are not rich, we are not poor, we are not lucky, we did work hard, and did give up things whilst working to allow for our retirement.

3 comments:

  1. It's a very dull day here too, but it's not a dull post. We get vouchers for Asda for cashback on our credit card which we spend at Christmas. I hasten to add that we spend on our credit card rather than cash in some instances but always pay it off at the end of the month so that we don't pay interest, it just means that our cashback adds up. It's a nice little bonus to spend at this time of year. I haven't finished this series of The Crown yet but I'm really enjoying it, I'm trying to savour every episode as I know it will be a while before there's a new series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't opened my food savings jar yet, I don't do a big shop anyway anymore, when you see the amount of food some people buy I do wonder how much goes to waste. I don't watch a lot of TV either, not watched soaps for years. If I fancy the look of something I watch it on catch up, although I will buy a TV guide for over Christmas to see if there is anything on I want to watch. I think there will be a lot of people who have no savings for retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we had a dull wet day too and very windy … I much prefer cold, frosty, sunny days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails