Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Wednesday 18 September 2024

Greenhouse

I planted the few recently purchased bulbs in a couple of empty pots, I do love to see spring bulbs in pots on my metal table on our patio. I have to take photos so I can remember where things are growing. 
I've also potted some cyclamen plants, these I got at B&Q, nice looking plants at a good price, I do like to see colour around this table, which I can see sat in my chair.
I put a couple of pansies in this long pot, I have a few of these pots, throughout the summer my previous pot had geraniums in, that's now in my greenhouse.
I've pulled my mini greenhouse into the centre back of my big glass greenhouse and put the plastic cover back on, in here at the moment I have a couple of herbs and a pepper plant, this system worked well last winter.
Both my big begonias are now back inside, they both bloomed all through the summer and looked good on my metal table, the smaller pot with a geranium in doubled in size, these are my special plants which I do protect through the cooler months.
I have a mixture of plants on this side, a small new snowberry plant, which could go in the ground, but I'm hoping it will get bigger quicker in here. I'm hoping the hellebore is a white flowering one and might be good enough to be inside part of my Christmas display.


Yesterday was warm and sunny so the garden called, I cleaned and sorted the greenhouse, mainly sorting old plant pots, which are stored outside behind the garage, I have a tub of spent compost to deal with, my compost bin is full again mainly tomato plants. I then popped tender plants back in their winter spots, there is less in the greenhouse.

My back ached afterwards, it's a task I do every year, but as I age I find I can do less in each session,  it's the sort of job which is brilliant once finished. 

I don't cut back the flower beds until spring, in hope they will be useful for bugs in the garden, I did dead head a few. My garden is closing, my big red acer leaves are wind damaged and starting to drop. We are looking to get our Magnolia tree trimmed back, we have done it in the last couple of years, so time to get the professionals in.

Soon the runner beans will be going over, I'm hoping we get one last harvest, they have been a sucess this summer. I hope to get some loose onion sets and a few potato's for Christmas. 

8 comments:

  1. I love cyclamens. I hope yours give you much pleasure over the next few months :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I get the pleasure of admiring all the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been very busy. Spring cabbage, winter onions and garlic can be planted from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have winter sown broad beans to go in with red and white onions sets and a few cabbage plants, that will fill my small beds.

      Delete
  4. I am hoping to get some colourful winter flowering plants for our patio pots. Will have to look in the garden nursery in town.
    I didn't know that begonias could be overwintered so I may put my two pots in the little growhouse and see how they do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The changing seasons bring different tasks. It's both sad and exciting to look forward to spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always get a sense of satisfaction from cleaning out the greenhouse at the end of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cyclamens are a favourite of mine ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails