Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Friday 25 June 2021

What's in the greenhouse

I was asked what do I grow in my greenhouse, I've not done a post for a while, so nearing the end of June, here's peak inside. On the left is my work space, this side often changes through out the year. The lower shelf is my plastic pots and jugs and sprayer. Underneath I keep some of my spare stones, slate and crock. 
I do love my carnivorous plants, there are 3 in this little tub, I keep it topped up with rain water, each plant has flowered this year, the Venus fly trap has shrunk, but there is new growth there, I cut the pitcher plant down each spring, the furry plant, I'm not sure what it is called, they all work hard and keep bugs at bay. 
I love this Jade plant, it's in a pretty biscuit pot, it has lived in here for a few years. 
Always loads of cuttings and plants from the garden which are not doing well outside. I have a baby pineapple and some amaryllis seeds all doing their own thing. In the spring these will spill onto the shelf below, I never have enough space. 
In here are the Hellebore seeds from my black flowering plant, I suspect they need the cold of winter before the shoot, I have plenty of time to see if they will grow.  
To the right are the cactus and succulent displays, this side stays much the same, I have a couple of smaller wire shelves to display some of my smaller plants. This is the sunnier side of the greenhouse. 
I regularly get blooms on these plants, and always have different pots, I love the gravy boat, purchased at a charity shop for £1, the plants in the gravy boat are new to me this year. 
My spider plant I over watered when in the house, so I cut it back and popped in in a shadier spot, it's now ready to go back in the house. 
I grow both 1 plant of cucumbers and tomatoes, both this summer inside, both are doing well, I have already cut some small cucumbers from the bottom of the plant, once they touch the soil they rot, so best to remove them early. 
Tucked to one side are my 3 Amaryllis, they flowered in January, so I popped the bulbs in here to dry and each bulb have produced new leaves, no bud stems. Plus 4 Orchids, they are tucked in the shade, I am hoping for new growth at some point. These sit on the floor at the back in front of my potting table, and loads of clay pots, most purchased 2nd hand. 
This lemon balm is in a pot with no holes in the bottom, and got waterlogged in the recent storms, it can stay in here to dry out. This plant if planted in our clay soil would take over the whole garden. 
I love these pots, they are washing up bowls, from our local cheap shop, in this one I have salads growing, spring onions, radishes and cut and come again lettuce. At £2.29 per 'pot' they are great value.
This beautiful string of pearls has hung in here for years, the pearls always fade in the summer but they do come back, this was my mother plant, I have 4 others around the place. Behind is another waterlogged pot, should dry out OK. Also coffee pot filters, I dry them out and use them in bottom of pots, they slow down the flow of water out of the pots. 
It's not as full as other years, most of my plants are strong enough to be out in the summer garden, I have lemon, lime and orange plants, who spend most of the year inside, all grown from seeds, my olive and pomegranate trees now stays outside the whole year. I do have other tender plants which will come back inside September time.

For once I have space to walk around, the floor is concrete, so it stays dry and clean in here, I don't shade the glass as our Magnolia tree gives shade for part of the day, the door is open 24 hours at this time of the year and the window has an automictic opener, so most of the time it does not overheat. 

I have started my hotbin, followed all the instructions, it's a case of wait and see if the temperature rises, I still have stuff in my white garden bag, I will pop it out next week for collection and then hopefully I won't need it again. I am checking and pleased to see the temperature gauge is rising, it is on the lid so I don't have to open it to check. 

6 comments:

  1. You certainly make good use of your greenhouse. I have a small 4X6 greenhouse, it's not huge but it's big enough for what I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is a bit bigger 6x8, but still at times I could do with more room.

      Delete
  2. You certainly pack a lot into your greenhouse.
    I did mention to hubby that I'd like a greenhouse, we have the space but it would mean clearing some bushes, in reality I'm not sure i'd make use of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is many years now since I had a greenhouse, and it was never big enough! Yours looks like it is very well organized, a joy to work in :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh ! I absolutely LOVE your greenhouse ! :) Thankyou for showing me all your wonderful plants . Mine is full of mostly Cacti and succulents . I wish you lived next door to me ! We could swap cuttings :) x Fantastic pics inside of your greenhouse ! Love it ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if my last comment came through to you . I just wanted to say thankyou and I love your greenhouse , so well organised ! Mine is full of cacti and succulents . My Venus Fly Trap plant is outside waiting for some rain to come tonight :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails